Fwd: Thinking of them

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
      > Subject: Thinking of them
      >
      > To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
      > comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
      > particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
      > out of the sight of men,,,
      >
      > " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
      > Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
      > At the going down of the sun and in the morning
      >
      > We will remember them."

      Craig

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
        Further to `Thinking of them'

        At The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel located on Toronto's lake front,
        today (Nov 11 - Canadian Remembrance Day). The Management made an
        announcement over the hotel's sound system that the hotel would
        observe a minute of silence in honor of all the solders who had given
        their life for Canada.

        At 11 A.M., during minute of silence, we looked out the window and
        saw four WW2 air planes flying in formation over Toronto Harbour

        It was a fitting site for all who were on the waterfront this morning

        Thank you Mr. Williams

        We WILL remember them

        Yrs.,
        L2

        --- Craig Williams wrote:

        To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
        comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
        particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
        out of the sight of men,,,

        " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
        Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
        At the going down of the sun and in the morning
        We will remember them."

        Craig
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
          To my surprise, even the TTC (Toronto Transit, for those of you not
          familiar with the the centre of the universe) came to a stop for two
          minutes at 11:00 Sunday morning. What's more, the majority of folks
          on the subway car I was riding actually sat quietly for the two
          minutes. Nice to see that people are actually starting to get it
          again.

          Or are they? I notice that government employees in Ontario get Monday
          off as a stat holiday because Remembrance Day fell on Sunday. I
          wonder what they'll be remembering as they sit at home... bet it
          won't have much to do with veterans.

          ~Dale

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
          wrote:

          > Further to `Thinking of them'
          >

          > At The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel located on Toronto's lake
          front,
          > today (Nov 11 - Canadian Remembrance Day). The Management made an
          > announcement over the hotel's sound system that the hotel would
          > observe a minute of silence in honor of all the solders who had
          given
          > their life for Canada.
          >
          > At 11 A.M., during minute of silence, we looked out the window and
          > saw four WW2 air planes flying in formation over Toronto Harbour
          >
          > It was a fitting site for all who were on the waterfront this
          morning

          > Thank you Mr. Williams
          >
          > We WILL remember them
          >
          > Yrs.,
          > L2
          >
          > --- Craig Williams wrote:
          >
          > To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
          > comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
          > particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
          > out of the sight of men,,,
          >
          > " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
          > Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
          > At the going down of the sun and in the morning
          > We will remember them."
          >
          > Craig

        • HAROLD DENNISON
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
            I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and tours.
            Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
            We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in the "Missing Man" formation.
            We "will" remember them!

            Hal

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
              Mr. Dennison

              That must have been the same air planes I saw circle the Toronto
              Harbour

              For those not from our area, Mr. Dennison lives in London, Ontario,
              Canada that is about a 2 hour and 13 minute drive (119.54 miles
              according to MapQuest)

              Hazzah to you Sir

              And to all who Remembered Them!

            • kevin.windsor@sympatico.ca
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                Yesterday was a very proud day for me! As some of you are aware I am a leader with Scouts Canada and work with the youngest section (aged 5-7). We had been struggling with the concept of "remembrance". Most kids that age don't remember where they left their packpack, so to ask them to remember the abstract is next to impossible. A few of years ago I started (in my house) to call the day "Thank a Soldier Day", and last year and this year was "Thank a Soldier Week". My boys would get two poppies, one to proudly wear, and one to give away to the first soldier (current or veteran) that they met. WHen they gave it to them, they were to say "Thank you for being a soldier".
                This year I did that with my Beaver Colony. On Thursday night we met at the Legion where they learned about the Legion, saw some artefacts and talked to a real soldier, and gave them two poppies. Sunday morning we formed up at church and went in to see two of our former Scouts (now Corporals in the Lincoln and Welland Reg't and Veterans of ISAF) lay the wreath in the church. We then went to the cemetery beside the church and placed flags and poppies on the graves of 40 War veterans there before going to the commemorative service.

                So for these 10 boys their remembrance day started on Thursday and lasted until Sunday, at the end I was dead tired, but they said "thank you" to many many soldiers (both living and dead) and while they didn't "remember" they sure did appreciate.

                So next year, please remember that if a poppy is a way of saying thank you, why not give it away and actually say it.

                Kevin
                89th

                > From: HAROLD DENNISON <hdennison@...>
                >
                > I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and tours.
                > Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
                > We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in the "Missing Man" formation.
                > We "will" remember them!
                >
                > Hal

              • Gordon Deans
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                  Hal,

                  I hope that those were not the same flight of Harvards (from
                  Woodstock) that did NOT show up at London's Remembrance Day ceremonies
                  for the first time in many years. After all, traditions are the main
                  point of remembering.

                  London did have a huge improvement in the turnout of units in the
                  parade and people in the crowd which after an hour of wreath laying
                  began to slink away.

                  Gord

                  --- Craig Williams wrote:

                  To all of the Canadian men and women who have given up their
                  comforts and safety to go the sharp end on our behalf and
                  particularly to those who have paid the supreme price and passed
                  out of the sight of men,,,

                  " They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
                  Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
                  At the going down of the sun and in the morning
                  We will remember them."

                  Craig

                  War of 1812 Living History:
                  A wide-ranging information exchange
                  for all participants and supporters

                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                  American Forces Unit Listing
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • PETER CATLEY

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                      Kevin,
                      Great work! You make the whole 1812 community proud of your
                      thoughtfulness.

                      Rick Peterson

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                      > Yesterday was a very proud day for me! As some of you are aware I
                      am a leader with Scouts Canada and work with the youngest section
                      (aged 5-7). We had been struggling with the concept
                      of "remembrance". Most kids that age don't remember where they left
                      their packpack, so to ask them to remember the abstract is next to
                      impossible. A few of years ago I started (in my house) to call the
                      day "Thank a Soldier Day", and last year and this year was "Thank a
                      Soldier Week". My boys would get two poppies, one to proudly wear,
                      and one to give away to the first soldier (current or veteran) that
                      they met. WHen they gave it to them, they were to say "Thank you for
                      being a soldier".
                      > This year I did that with my Beaver Colony. On Thursday night we
                      met at the Legion where they learned about the Legion, saw some
                      artefacts and talked to a real soldier, and gave them two poppies.
                      Sunday morning we formed up at church and went in to see two of our
                      former Scouts (now Corporals in the Lincoln and Welland Reg't and
                      Veterans of ISAF) lay the wreath in the church. We then went to the
                      cemetery beside the church and placed flags and poppies on the graves
                      of 40 War veterans there before going to the commemorative service.

                      > So for these 10 boys their remembrance day started on Thursday and
                      lasted until Sunday, at the end I was dead tired, but they
                      said "thank you" to many many soldiers (both living and dead) and
                      while they didn't "remember" they sure did appreciate.

                      > So next year, please remember that if a poppy is a way of saying
                      thank you, why not give it away and actually say it.

                      > Kevin
                      > 89th
                      >
                      > > From: HAROLD DENNISON <hdennison@...>
                      > >
                      > > I had the honour, yesterday, of representing the 1st Foot during
                      the ceremonies at Fort York and was quite impressed by the public
                      turn out. I believe Ewen said the gate was 342, as the public was
                      invited back into the Fort after the ceremony for refreshments and
                      tours.
                      > > Also in attendance was Captain Stutt representing the 8th Foot
                      and Major Everett with a well turned out squad, including colours, of
                      the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada.
                      > > We also were flown over by the flight of Harvards aligned in
                      the "Missing Man" formation.
                      > > We "will" remember them!
                      > >
                      > > Hal

                    • Dale Kidd
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...> wrote:
                        > I hope that those were not the same flight of Harvards (from
                        > Woodstock) that did NOT show up at London's Remembrance Day
                        ceremonies
                        > for the first time in many years.

                        Bet you they were. There aren't a whole lot of formation-trained
                        Harvard pilots left flying around in southern Ontario. The big question
                        is, did they choose to change venue, or did the City of London, with
                        it's usual administrative disdain for common sense, tell them their
                        services would no longer be required?

                        ~Dale
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 13, 2007
                          Gents

                          It cost money to fly planes

                          The planes went where their price could be met

                          The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) had numerous Remembrance Day services
                          and the money was there for the planes to fly over a bunch of
                          cenotaphs

                          London (according to London TV) had only one

                          Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

                          Money talks . . .

                          Yrs.,
                          L2

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 14, 2007
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:
                            > Did anyone call London City Hall or the Legion Branch

                            Good question, Larry. I would assume that you are probably right in
                            your assessment of the situation, though. London undoubtedly could or
                            would not match the money being offered by Toronto. A pity, when the
                            planes have become such a part of London's cermony over the past
                            several years. But, as you said, it takes money to make those birds
                            fly, and the association running them has to do what is best for their
                            own survival.

                            Unfortunately, I was not able to see them at either venue. I was
                            obliged to be travelling on Sunday, instead of participating in the
                            Remembrance Day ceremonies in Amherstburg, as it has been my honour to
                            for the past several years. I am looking forward to resuming that duty
                            next year.

                            ~Dale