Re: [War Of 1812] Looking for Pattern

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
      I guess this is a function of how comfortable you are with making clothes..

      "My" US 25th Infantry was equipped with the roundabout jacket by using the "Dragoon coatee" pattern with tails removed, and I later extended the pattern's coatee tails to make an officer's coat pattern. Both my infantry officer's coats were made this way.

      Then, I took my old coat and extended the lapels (actually, my son Neil did that), making a double breasted coat to represent a Royal Navy lieutenant's undress unifom. (He also turned the fabric inside out to get back to the original rich blue colour!)

      Now the difference between a Captain's coat and a Lieutenant's coat is one of details, white lapels and gold lace. I'm sure there are enough pictures to allow you to dress your basic coat the way you like.

      So, a decent 1812 era pattern, double breasted, and no turnbacks on the full tails, should give you what you want.

      I hope this was useful.

      Lieutenant (N) Tom

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
        Mr. Hewitt