Re: [War Of 1812] Looking for Pattern

  • LCpl_rm
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5 6:40 PM
      Questions like this, pique my interest.

      Why would you want a pattern for a 1812 RN Captain's coat?

      Cheers,
      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8 11:40 AM
        I guess this is a function of how comfortable you are with making clothes..

        "My" US 25th Infantry was equipped with the roundabout jacket by using the "Dragoon coatee" pattern with tails removed, and I later extended the pattern's coatee tails to make an officer's coat pattern. Both my infantry officer's coats were made this way.

        Then, I took my old coat and extended the lapels (actually, my son Neil did that), making a double breasted coat to represent a Royal Navy lieutenant's undress unifom. (He also turned the fabric inside out to get back to the original rich blue colour!)

        Now the difference between a Captain's coat and a Lieutenant's coat is one of details, white lapels and gold lace. I'm sure there are enough pictures to allow you to dress your basic coat the way you like.

        So, a decent 1812 era pattern, double breasted, and no turnbacks on the full tails, should give you what you want.

        I hope this was useful.

        Lieutenant (N) Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8 1:16 PM
          Mr. Hewitt