Looking for Pattern

  • Kylie Hewitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
      I'm looking for a pattern that can be used for an 1812 Royal Navy
      Captain's coat. Any suggestions?

      -Vive
    • LCpl_rm
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
        Questions like this, pique my interest.

        Why would you want a pattern for a 1812 RN Captain's coat?

        Cheers,
        Ed Seufert, Cpl
        1812 Royal Marines
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
          I guess this is a function of how comfortable you are with making clothes..

          "My" US 25th Infantry was equipped with the roundabout jacket by using the "Dragoon coatee" pattern with tails removed, and I later extended the pattern's coatee tails to make an officer's coat pattern. Both my infantry officer's coats were made this way.

          Then, I took my old coat and extended the lapels (actually, my son Neil did that), making a double breasted coat to represent a Royal Navy lieutenant's undress unifom. (He also turned the fabric inside out to get back to the original rich blue colour!)

          Now the difference between a Captain's coat and a Lieutenant's coat is one of details, white lapels and gold lace. I'm sure there are enough pictures to allow you to dress your basic coat the way you like.

          So, a decent 1812 era pattern, double breasted, and no turnbacks on the full tails, should give you what you want.

          I hope this was useful.

          Lieutenant (N) Tom

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
            Mr. Hewitt