Kent Militia

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
      The 1st Regiment Kent Militia were transferred to the Niagara
      Peninsula after the Battle of the Thames.

      Those who were left behind and joined after the Battle of the Thames
      were known as the Kent Volunteers.

      Hope this helps

      Yrs.,
      L2

      "Len Heidebrecht" wrote:

      Has anyone ever heard of the Kent Militia being called Royal Kent
      Volunteers before?
    • Ross Flowers
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
        Len

        for any of us interested in examining the book at the library, are
        there any other particulars that you can share so that we can find
        it?

        "Drums"

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
        <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > While investigating information on the 34th Regt during the Rev
        War,
        > (if you have any information I'd love to hear from you) I've run
        > across a previously unknown Order Book at the Toronto Central
        > Reference Library. The First section is of the 21st Regt from 1784-
        > 1792 while the second section is of General Orders 1814.
        >
        > One General Order I thought would be of interest is from Quebec 18
        > March 1814:
        > "Report of Captain Stewart of Royal Scots... & a body of Enemy on
        4th
        > Instant at Longwoods in Advance of Delaware."
        >
        > The story is quite a dramatic report making the whole affair seem
        > much larger than it was, but is a bit too long to repeat here.
        Here
        > is the report of killed and wounded:
        >
        > 'List of Killed and Wounded & Missing
        >
        > Royal Scots Light Company
        >
        > one Captain, 9 Rank and File Killed
        > one Lieut, 3 Serjents, 7 Rank and File Wounded
        > a Bugle Missing
        >
        > 89th Light Company
        >
        > one Lieutenant, 3 Rank and File Killed
        > one Captain, 1 Serjent, 7 rank and File Wounded
        > Volunteer Piggot wounded and taken Prisoner
        >
        > Royal Kent Volunteers
        >
        > one Lieut, 1 Serjent and 3 Rank and File wounded
        >
        > Name of Officers Killed and Wounded
        > Captain D Johnson Royal Scots Lieut P Groeme
        >
        > Captain Basten 89th Regt, Lieut a W Donald'
        >
        > I'm not sure about the spelling of the names of Johnson and Donald
        as
        > I didn't have time to check the Army List. Has anyone ever heard
        of
        > the Kent Militia being called Royal Kent Volunteers before? Oh,
        and
        > I'm sure the missing Bugle is a person rather than an instrument.
        >
        > The Orders also give some juicy tales about Courts Martial in
        Quebec
        > and Halifax, general information on the garrison (Halifax I think)
        > and a list of bounties for enlisting Limited Service vs Unlimited
        > service men.
        >
        > I've made a request that the entire book be digitized for on-line
        > perusal, but who knows if that will ever come about.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Len

      • Alexander McCracken Good
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
          <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

          Hi Len,

          Thanks for posting this.

          Do you know if there was any decent info on
          uniforms and equipment from the 1784-ish period
          for the 21st?

          Also, is there an online search engine for the
          library where you found this? I'm curious what
          else they might have.

          Thanks much,

          Alex Good

          > The First section is of the 21st Regt from 1784-
          1792...<
        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
            Hello again,

            The 21st Regt Orders Book can be found in the Baldwin room, Toronto
            Central Reference Library. I received a call today that it is next in
            queue for digitalization likely in December and should be on-line
            sometime in 2008. The exact time can't be detailed due to budget and
            personnel, but it'll be available.

            The first section, written by Lieut. William Cox really concerns his
            role as assistant Adjutant to the regiment from 1784-1792 and so
            doesn't get into uniform details. One interesting memoranda in 1790
            does list what should be taken along if a detail should be ordered out
            in Nova Scotia in February of that year. One blanket, no greatcoats or
            capotes or snowshoes, old blanket pieces in moccassins; sounds chilly
            to me.

            Cheers,

            Len
          • Mark Bevis
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
              Has anyone any info on the unit sizes and uniforms of the Montreal City Sedentary Militia:
              I have the following info, wonder if anyone can flesh it out:

              1st Bttn: British: blue uniform, white facings, then early 1813 switched to scarlet with yellow facings
              2nd, 3rd Bttns: French Canadians: blue coats faced red, then in Nov 1812 had scarlet faced sky blue, then June 1813 scarlet faced green

              The Flank Coys of these 3 Bttns were detached as volunteers to form the Montreal Militia Battalion, March 1812-March 1815.
              I'm guessing that they were about 300-400 men strong, with stovepipe shakos
              Mark Bevis
            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2007
                Hello Mark,

                On 30 June 1813 with a large store of clothing having come frome
                Britain, the flank coys of the battions received their issue first.
                The 6th Bn flank companies where issued "Caps and plumes, Red Coats,
                Waist-coats with sleeves, Blue Trowsers, Forage Caps, Gaiters, Linen
                shirts, Stocking, Shoes, Knapsacks and Stocks and Clasps.' The Bn
                coys received their issue 1 Aug 1813.

                The old Military Illustrated article I lifted this from (1986) says
                that it seems they never wore Belgics as there is reference
                to 'Bucket caps.' I wonder if this would be entirely true as Quebec
                being the major port and Commissariat stores, it makes sense that
                local units would receive the first issue before the remainer going
                up the lakes.

                Lt Francois Dezery's uniform (3rd Bn)in which he was wounded at
                Chateauguay 26 Oct 1813 is an old style scarlet coat with yellow
                facings. It is surmised in the article that this was purchased second-
                hand but it does seem odd that for relatively little cost he could
                have changed his facings.

                Cheers,

                Len