Newly Found Orders Book

  • Len Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hello All,

      While investigating information on the 34th Regt during the Rev War,
      (if you have any information I'd love to hear from you) I've run
      across a previously unknown Order Book at the Toronto Central
      Reference Library. The First section is of the 21st Regt from 1784-
      1792 while the second section is of General Orders 1814.

      One General Order I thought would be of interest is from Quebec 18
      March 1814:
      "Report of Captain Stewart of Royal Scots... & a body of Enemy on 4th
      Instant at Longwoods in Advance of Delaware."

      The story is quite a dramatic report making the whole affair seem
      much larger than it was, but is a bit too long to repeat here. Here
      is the report of killed and wounded:

      'List of Killed and Wounded & Missing

      Royal Scots Light Company

      one Captain, 9 Rank and File Killed
      one Lieut, 3 Serjents, 7 Rank and File Wounded
      a Bugle Missing

      89th Light Company

      one Lieutenant, 3 Rank and File Killed
      one Captain, 1 Serjent, 7 rank and File Wounded
      Volunteer Piggot wounded and taken Prisoner

      Royal Kent Volunteers

      one Lieut, 1 Serjent and 3 Rank and File wounded

      Name of Officers Killed and Wounded
      Captain D Johnson Royal Scots Lieut P Groeme

      Captain Basten 89th Regt, Lieut a W Donald'

      I'm not sure about the spelling of the names of Johnson and Donald as
      I didn't have time to check the Army List. Has anyone ever heard of
      the Kent Militia being called Royal Kent Volunteers before? Oh, and
      I'm sure the missing Bugle is a person rather than an instrument.

      The Orders also give some juicy tales about Courts Martial in Quebec
      and Halifax, general information on the garrison (Halifax I think)
      and a list of bounties for enlisting Limited Service vs Unlimited
      service men.

      I've made a request that the entire book be digitized for on-line
      perusal, but who knows if that will ever come about.

      Cheers,

      Len
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
        The 1st Regiment Kent Militia were transferred to the Niagara
        Peninsula after the Battle of the Thames.

        Those who were left behind and joined after the Battle of the Thames
        were known as the Kent Volunteers.

        Hope this helps

        Yrs.,
        L2

        "Len Heidebrecht" wrote:

        Has anyone ever heard of the Kent Militia being called Royal Kent
        Volunteers before?
      • Ross Flowers
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          Len

          for any of us interested in examining the book at the library, are
          there any other particulars that you can share so that we can find
          it?

          "Drums"

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
          <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > While investigating information on the 34th Regt during the Rev
          War,
          > (if you have any information I'd love to hear from you) I've run
          > across a previously unknown Order Book at the Toronto Central
          > Reference Library. The First section is of the 21st Regt from 1784-
          > 1792 while the second section is of General Orders 1814.
          >
          > One General Order I thought would be of interest is from Quebec 18
          > March 1814:
          > "Report of Captain Stewart of Royal Scots... & a body of Enemy on
          4th
          > Instant at Longwoods in Advance of Delaware."
          >
          > The story is quite a dramatic report making the whole affair seem
          > much larger than it was, but is a bit too long to repeat here.
          Here
          > is the report of killed and wounded:
          >
          > 'List of Killed and Wounded & Missing
          >
          > Royal Scots Light Company
          >
          > one Captain, 9 Rank and File Killed
          > one Lieut, 3 Serjents, 7 Rank and File Wounded
          > a Bugle Missing
          >
          > 89th Light Company
          >
          > one Lieutenant, 3 Rank and File Killed
          > one Captain, 1 Serjent, 7 rank and File Wounded
          > Volunteer Piggot wounded and taken Prisoner
          >
          > Royal Kent Volunteers
          >
          > one Lieut, 1 Serjent and 3 Rank and File wounded
          >
          > Name of Officers Killed and Wounded
          > Captain D Johnson Royal Scots Lieut P Groeme
          >
          > Captain Basten 89th Regt, Lieut a W Donald'
          >
          > I'm not sure about the spelling of the names of Johnson and Donald
          as
          > I didn't have time to check the Army List. Has anyone ever heard
          of
          > the Kent Militia being called Royal Kent Volunteers before? Oh,
          and
          > I'm sure the missing Bugle is a person rather than an instrument.
          >
          > The Orders also give some juicy tales about Courts Martial in
          Quebec
          > and Halifax, general information on the garrison (Halifax I think)
          > and a list of bounties for enlisting Limited Service vs Unlimited
          > service men.
          >
          > I've made a request that the entire book be digitized for on-line
          > perusal, but who knows if that will ever come about.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Len

        • Alexander McCracken Good
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2007
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Len Heidebrecht"
            <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

            Hi Len,

            Thanks for posting this.

            Do you know if there was any decent info on
            uniforms and equipment from the 1784-ish period
            for the 21st?

            Also, is there an online search engine for the
            library where you found this? I'm curious what
            else they might have.

            Thanks much,

            Alex Good

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
              Hello again,

              The 21st Regt Orders Book can be found in the Baldwin room, Toronto
              Central Reference Library. I received a call today that it is next in
              queue for digitalization likely in December and should be on-line
              sometime in 2008. The exact time can't be detailed due to budget and
              personnel, but it'll be available.

              The first section, written by Lieut. William Cox really concerns his
              role as assistant Adjutant to the regiment from 1784-1792 and so
              doesn't get into uniform details. One interesting memoranda in 1790
              does list what should be taken along if a detail should be ordered out
              in Nova Scotia in February of that year. One blanket, no greatcoats or
              capotes or snowshoes, old blanket pieces in moccassins; sounds chilly
              to me.

              Cheers,

              Len
            • Mark Bevis
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
                Has anyone any info on the unit sizes and uniforms of the Montreal City Sedentary Militia:
                I have the following info, wonder if anyone can flesh it out:

                1st Bttn: British: blue uniform, white facings, then early 1813 switched to scarlet with yellow facings
                2nd, 3rd Bttns: French Canadians: blue coats faced red, then in Nov 1812 had scarlet faced sky blue, then June 1813 scarlet faced green

                The Flank Coys of these 3 Bttns were detached as volunteers to form the Montreal Militia Battalion, March 1812-March 1815.
                I'm guessing that they were about 300-400 men strong, with stovepipe shakos
                Mark Bevis
              • Len Heidebrecht
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Hello Mark,

                  On 30 June 1813 with a large store of clothing having come frome
                  Britain, the flank coys of the battions received their issue first.
                  The 6th Bn flank companies where issued "Caps and plumes, Red Coats,
                  Waist-coats with sleeves, Blue Trowsers, Forage Caps, Gaiters, Linen
                  shirts, Stocking, Shoes, Knapsacks and Stocks and Clasps.' The Bn
                  coys received their issue 1 Aug 1813.

                  The old Military Illustrated article I lifted this from (1986) says
                  that it seems they never wore Belgics as there is reference
                  to 'Bucket caps.' I wonder if this would be entirely true as Quebec
                  being the major port and Commissariat stores, it makes sense that
                  local units would receive the first issue before the remainer going
                  up the lakes.

                  Lt Francois Dezery's uniform (3rd Bn)in which he was wounded at
                  Chateauguay 26 Oct 1813 is an old style scarlet coat with yellow
                  facings. It is surmised in the article that this was purchased second-
                  hand but it does seem odd that for relatively little cost he could
                  have changed his facings.

                  Cheers,

                  Len