Re: Who won???

  • IX Regt.
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 1999
> [...]
      >been nagging me. The line people draw about who won the Battle of Lundy's
      >Lane. America says it is a clear cut victory on their part and yet can they
      >really claim it as such. Casualties on both sides were similar. Yes, the
      >Americans did capture the British guns, but then found their position
      >tenuous at best and opted to abandon them where they were. They then made a
      >tactical retreat back to Fort Erie effectively ending their assault
      >campaign up the pennisula. The British on the other hand were left in
      >control of the field even if they could put up no effective pursuit of the
      >Americans until the next day. They were successful in their bid to stop the
      >American advance and hold strategic ground. The British failed to achieve
      >these goals at Chippewa and so the victory goes to America in the battle --
      >clearly. But at Lundy's Lane America achieved none of it's goal while
      >Britian did exactly what they needed to do. With a little coaxing I'm
      >prepared to give them a draw but I'm also quite willing to say we won that
      >one. (So let the dirt fly now)
      >
      >This next section is directed at Rob Henderson.
      >
      >Your posting about valian Canadian action is excellent but there are a few
      >points you missed that I feel must be corrected.
      >
      >Ogdensburg - You mention the Glengarry Light at Ogdensburg but neglect to
      >mention the Royal Newfoundland Regiment (all colonial fencibles). The
      >entire assault was led by Capt. Tito LeLievre M.I.D. While the Glengarries
      >were pinned down by artillery Capt. LeLievre led the Newfoudlanders in a
      >bayonet assault against a dug in position and drove the American line back.
      >Shortly after the town was surrendered. LeLievre was Mentioned in Dispatch
      >for his valiant action.
      >
      >Fort George - Again you mention the Glengarries in their bayonet charge
      >against the Americans but fail to mention the Royal Newfoundland Grenadier
      >company's part in the battle. They fought a rear gaurd action and remained
      >in contact with the enemy under withering conditions for over 4 hours. "In
      >contact" in military terms means that they were "insight of and engaged
      >with" the enemy. The Grenadiers suffered over 50 percent casualties for
      >their efforts.
      >
      >Resupply of Fort Michilimackinac - You mention the heroic march of the
      >104th from New Brunswick but what about the Royal Newfoundland Regt's march
      >from York to Georgian Bay where they built bateaux in the woods and then
      >rowed from there to Fort Michilimackinac. A total journey of 700 kms. with
      >the march starting in mid-March.
      >
      >I know I'm dwelling on the Royal Newfoundlanders but they are my regiment
      >and I hate to see them neglected. I'm actually supporting what you say in
      >that it was really Canadians who defended Canadian soil and we who had so
      >much to lose if America was victorious. We fought hard to defend our land
      >and WE WON!!!
      >
      >No ifs, ands, or buts; Canada won the War of 1812!

      Sean,

      I know nothing about the war of 1812, until 3 years ago after reading
      our regimental history I learnt a little, then I read Le Coulter's book,
      the name of which I cannot remember but something about Merry days.

      Now I am learning that both sides apparently won, and I get an
      impression that rather like Waterloo the only thing the rest of you can
      agree on is that the King's Army either wasn't there, wasn't involved or
      wasn't relevant :-) We're use it by now!

      Out of interest what was the disposition and numbers (rough) of the
      nationalities that fought in this war? Presumably American, American
      Loyalist, Canadian, French Canadian, Native American, Native Canadian,
      French? West Indian Militia? What sort of British Regiments, regular
      army (1st Foot to 100th Foot), British Militia, British Veteran
      Battalions?

      Sorry I have no idea, and I apologise if I've missed anyone or used the
      wrong designations, but who was fighting in this small event of yours
      :-)

      Oh, and as to who one, we never do, its like one of sportsmen said, "you
      never beat them, you just score more points" Touche

      P**

      --
      IX Regt.
    • Sean
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 1999
        Peter,

        There is a joke that runs amongst 1812 reenactors with regards to the issue
        of who won. It goes - The Canadians think they won, the Americans KNOW they
        won and the British don't know it even happened. In a lot of ways this
        statement is very true. Canadians think they won but never say anything
        because we are too polite to step on anyones toes or make offence. The
        Americans, regardless of historical fact are convinced they won; after all
        how could they lose to a bunch of backwoods northerners like us. The
        British were too busy with Bonaparte to really consider Canada as more than
        a minor operation.

        Unfortunately this misinformation is a part of our national history and
        until we stand and say something it will continue in such a fashion. Canada
        has to learn to stand up proudly behind its soldiers. History has proven
        that we have a damned fine and very effective armed forces. Sometimes
        Canadians have even, on a one for one basis, been considered as the best in
        the world. America has to learn that it's okay to say they lost this one.
        Everything returned to the status quo in the end. America thought it would
        be a roll over, finished quickly and England would have to listen to them.
        But the American army at the beginning of the war was ill-prepared to face
        our forces, small though they were. In the first year and a half of the war
        America had a few very embarassing losses to small numbers. They were
        out-maneuvered and out fought at every turn, but in the later war period
        they improved tactics and were soon matching the British with win for win.
        WE STILL WON THOUGH.

        It's a point of pride for us. A victory which formed a nation an started us
        on the road to having influence in England. Europeans are often heard
        saying why do you care Canadians and Americans are the same aren't they,
        but that would be like saying to an Irishman that they were the same as the
        English. Boy would tempers flare with that one.

        We are to very different people who happen to be able to get along fairly
        well despite certain differences and one of the very reasons we are
        different is because of the War of 1812.

        I can't really give exact numbers on the breakdown of War of 1812
        participants so I won't try. I'm sure there is someone out there with some
        precise figure that they would be happy to divulge.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 1999
          Yes, life can be a real bitch, imagine have a neighbour like that on a
          personal basis! DUCK and RUN :)

          --
          IX Regt.
        • Paul W. Schulz
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 1999
            Sean,
            I usually find that I am in agreement with many of the things that you
            have written but in this case I am wondering if you cracked your head coming
            out of the car today. This will be a first, hearing someone complain that
            those on different sides in debate are conducting themselves as gentlemen is
            a new one for me. If you would rather change the tone of the conversations
            I'm sure that can be accommodated. As far as defending national pride you'll
            find that I can be about as salty as they come. In fact you may find I can
            be the nastiest person you ever met on the issue, full of more vinegar than
            rancid wine. I guess that's what comes of loosing friends in the defense of
            a flag that was bought in blood rather than issued by a government divesting
            itself of territory it no longer wanted.
            As far as the Canadians winning the war I'll go along with them as 20th
            century winners, but not 19th century winners. The inhabitants of Canada
            were British, not Canadian. No Canadian identity existed before the war. You
            had a hodge podge of French, American immigrants and ARW refugees, in many
            cases all with differing agendas. That would be why Brock initially did not
            trust the militia and you had those problems with Mr. Wilcox. After the war
            they were all firmly British, having fought for a common cause and from that
            developed the sense of Canadian Nationalism seen today. Which still varies
            from providence to providence.
            As far as who won a Lundy's Lane....well let me help you with that one
            to, lest you grope around in the dark forever. The US won guys, sorry. The
            winner of a battle (at least in the tactical sense) is the side left in
            possession of the field. They don't have to homestead, just keep it and not
            be chased away. The Battle started for the US as a recognizance in force
            with the major British action PLANNED for the other side of the river. This
            action was recalled due to the rapidly changing situation on Canadian soil,
            The British DID NOT hold the strategic ground at the end of the battle and I
            defy you to pull up documented proof that they did. The US retired due to
            unavailable water making the ground ultimately unsuitable for a relocation
            of the camp. The US also retired when they damned well pleased, and in very
            good order and at a slow UNMOLESTED pace. Captains Glews much recorded
            charge did not take place at the end of the battle but in the middle of it.
            The British retired OFF the field and up Lundy's Lane leaving two companies
            to monitor US activities. Even these soldiers did not keep close enough
            contact to detect the US redeployment until after sun up. The forces that
            Mr. Cruikshank mentions in his much discredited accounts as an American rear
            guard was nothing more than a work party assigned to remove the pieces on
            the day following the battle and the British did not occupy any ground until
            the day after. To call this a British victory is kinda like sayin' on your
            why to the mail box you found $100.00 (US currency of course) and coming
            back in to the house and sayin' "Hey, look I earned $100.00 bucks today." It
            doesn't was and it sure aint consistent with the facts. If you have any
            further questions I reffer you to "Where right and Glory Lead," by Donald
            Graves Appendix C beginning on pg 265. Enjoy it its a good book.
            Don't get me wrong I am in no way detracting from the conduct or bravery
            of the Crown Forces in any action in any theater of the period, but let's
            call a spade a spade, get your facts straight.
            Speaking of spades how's that for a shovel full of dirt. Now don't you
            think its better when we pull a punch or two and act like gentlemen. Jim
            makes one of the finest points I've yet read on this electronic BB. Try to
            look at things from a 19th Century point of view not at what resulted in our
            20th century world. As a side note Jim I am indebted to you for another
            insightful look in to the hobby and the 19th century mind. With my
            dissertation about Rob's question a couple of days ago I was attempting to
            list the US point of view and aims from a 19th century perspective not sugar
            coat anything in a 20th century era of P/C. Unlike some of the crap I read
            on this rag from north of the border I am not trying to refight the War of
            1812, just reenact it and keep the memory of brave men alive.
            Paul Schulz
            4th US Rt. of Inf
            Snelling's Co.
> [...]
            >with" the enemy. The Grenadiers suffered over 50 percent casualties for
            >their efforts.
            >
            >Resupply of Fort Michilimackinac - You mention the heroic march of the
            >104th from New Brunswick but what about the Royal Newfoundland Regt's march
            >from York to Georgian Bay where they built bateaux in the woods and then
            >rowed from there to Fort Michilimackinac. A total journey of 700 kms. with
            >the march starting in mid-March.
            >
            >I know I'm dwelling on the Royal Newfoundlanders but they are my regiment
            >and I hate to see them neglected. I'm actually supporting what you say in
            >that it was really Canadians who defended Canadian soil and we who had so
            >much to lose if America was victorious. We fought hard to defend our land
            >and WE WON!!!
            >
            >No ifs, ands, or buts; Canada won the War of 1812!

            square miles...
          • Paul W. Schulz

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 1999
                Paul,

                Sorry to have offended so deeply on this topic. That was not my intention
                when I suggested people stop candy coating their answers. I just tire of
                people never really taking sides on an issue and pussy footing around it
                just to keep everyone else happy. Besides it makes a debate so very much
                more interesting when there are clear cut sides being taken. Just look at
                all the mail zipping around cyberspace now. Unfortunately, I do all my mail
                from work and only get to see what has happened over the weekend after I
                get back on Monday so some of my responses may seem a bit dated but I find
                I must respond to your mail.

                With regards to Lundy's Lane, Touche! I'll go no further on that topic as
                it has been some time since I have read about it and have no source at hand
                from which to quote and support my arguments. I did, however, read Donald
                Graves first book on the subject - The Battle of Lundy's Lane - (I think
                this is what it's called, but I read it several years ago.)

                But to say that we have lost no friends or shed no blood over our flag and
                that it was just handed to us by a mother country that could no longer be
                bothered with us is, well, offensive. I will chalk it up to you miswording
                your phrases due to being fired in the blood at some of my poorly worded
                statements and to a misunderstanding of Canadian/British relations.

                Jim's posting - Family Fights, Sunday - was most excellent. A national
                pride instilling speech of the grandest proportion which I agree with most
                completely. The Canadian government was granted basic home rule in 1867
                with its own council and parliament under its own Prime Minister. We
                maintained the British flag though as it best served our purpose at the
                time. in 1967 Lester Pearson and the Canadian government decided in
                celebration of Canada's 100 years as a nation we would search for a new
                flag and the Maple Leaf was born. We were not handed a flag by a
                disinterested British government and sent on our way to play on our own. We
                earned it, in war and peace on the world stage and as a nation proud of its
                British heritage (sorry to those of French liniage). Please, do not suggest
                that our flag is little more than a bauble; a gift handed to us peace
                loving, smiling, orphans of British disinterest. People have gone to war
                over less.

                As to whether or not people of the time considered themselves Canadian...
                Not all people in Canada were displaced Americans, loyalists or french.
                There were Scots here from the early 1700's on, the French had continually
                occupied the area from the mid 1500's and the British had been settling the
                area seriously from the mid 1700's. People born and bred here considered
                themselves Canadian. They might refer to themselves as per their specific
                language group but they were still Canadian. A french military manual from
                around 1750 refers to the french marines as being officer by mostly
                Canadians. People from an area did not refer to themselves as whatever the
                occupying government of the day was but tended to name themselves after the
                region in which they lived. England rules over almost all of the British
                Isles but you would never hear a Scotsman, a Welshman, or an Northern
                Irishman call himself British. England ruled over India but the Indian's
                didn't refer to themselves as British. So goes it with the people born and
                bred in Canada. Sure not all of them had the same agenda during the war.
                Most saw it as an inconvenient disruption in trade with a neighbour who was
                very much like themselves, spoke the same language and had the same
                problems to deal with that a frontier life has to offer. But one thing is
                for sure, they were Canadian and after the war was over fiercely proud of
                it.

                I would also be careful about jokes regarding any future monarch and I know
                that is what they are intended as but, there are a great many Royalists out
                there that might take offence at such statements. Charles may have been
                less than discrete about his affairs and was not a perfect husband but he
                is certainly qualified in every other way. He's an accomplished artist
                who's paintings are on display in several art galleries, he was highly
                educated in the best British Universities, has served in a command capacity
                in both the Navy and Airforce branch of the British military and completed
                the very rigorous parachute course required by the Brit para regiments.
                Along with his various charities and other sundries I would say he is a
                very capable head of state... Guess you could say I'm a Royalist.

                Hail King Geo...Charles???

                Hope I haven't alienated one of my self-styled "supporters!"