re: c.ball

  • rnrrooster
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2007
      I was thinking more of who's ball it might have been {the story}.
      If it was found s/w of the Gage house {Stoney}, was that where the
      British were advancing from or was that where the Americas were camped
      etc.
      Yes, the ball could be from a mill. But it was found on the
      battlefield of Stoney, so I would think it is a cannonball considering
      they probably littered the whole area.
      thanks
      Rooster

      p.s. when I get home I will measure & weigh it.
    • Gordon Deans
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2007
        The orientation of the Artillery battery, Gage House and the
        battlefield all point to an American cannonball. The conjecture is to
        who fired it or dumped it.

        This becomes apparent by going to Battlefield House on MapQuest at
        zoom level 11.

        http://www.mapquest.com/maps/

        Battlefield House:
        77 King St W
        Stoney Creek, ON L8G 1H9, CA

        "Major Plenderleath, with about 20 men of the 49th, dashed up the road
        and into the face of four of the American guns that were mounted on
        Smith's knoll (where the lion monument now stands). The Americans
        managed to fire two volleys before Plenderleath and his men were upon
        them and capturing their four artillery pieces. The men of the 49th
        turned the guns on their former owners."

        The American battery was on Smith's Knoll on King Street West opposite
        Battlefield Drive which is the first street to the west of Battlefield
        Park. The British approached on King Street from the east to overrun
        it. They probably redirected the battery from the east to the
        south-west which was the bulk of the American camp. The railway line
        is now behind the American camp from the perspective of the battery.

        Now, if we can only determine what size of guns were on Smith's Knoll.

      • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2007
          Gord Deans wrote:

          "Now, if we can only determine what size of guns were on Smith's Knoll."

          Major Holcroft, Royal Artillery, wrote:? ?"Return of Ordnance etc etc Captured from the Americans...on June 6, 1813...."

          Ordnance:? 6 pounders, iron???????? 3
          ??????????????? 5 1/2 inch howitzers??? 1
          ???????????????? Carriages, limber 6 pounder? 1
          ???????????????? Timbril with 6 pounder ammunition complete???? 1"

          Ron