Re: The Irish Diamension :-)

  • IX Regt.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 1999
      In message <36CB060C.5305FAE9@...>, Allan and
      Rosemary <allan@...> writes
      >From: Allan and Rosemary <allan@...>
      >
      >BritcomHMP@... wrote:
      >>
      >> From: BritcomHMP@...
      >>
      >> In a message dated 2/16/99 5:15:32 PM Central Standard Time,
      >> gschult3@... writes:
      >>
      >> << there is hope - especially since re-enacting is helping in some
      >> small measure to show history in a different light. Some people may
      >> change what hollywood and popular myth have implanted in the U.S. mind -
      >> so we'll keep up the work.
      >> >>

      >> Indeed there might even be light at the end of the tunnel! After our program
      >> for the school children at Calmette for the Battle of New Orleans
      >> commemoration at which the 'Americans' get to present their version of the
      >> events and then the groups come to the 'British' four our version; one of the
      >> park rangers approached me. "I think you are being a bit too effective she"
      >> said, why? I asked. "Well after she had been through your camp one of the 4th
      >> graders came up to me and said, 'So in this war we were the bad guys?" !!
      >>
      >> Every little helps!
      >>
      >> Cheers
      >>
      >> Tim
      >
      >I had the same experience when the 23rd Foot did an event at Lisburn,
      >Northern Ireland last year to commemorate the 1798 Rebellion. After I
      >explained that it was Irish Militia that were mainly involved in the
      >fighting and very few of the redcoats were regular army, a woman looked
      >at me out of the corner of her eye, and said 'Mm, you're a good
      >propagandist for the British Army'. I had to explain to her that the
      >Welsh had been on the receiving end of the Army's tactics too many
      >times, and that I had no desire to praise them if I thought it was
      >untrue. But I don't think she was convinced!
      >
      >On the same note I had to wonder the reason of this event. Imagine the
      >situation - you're in a town, dressed as a British Officer, and about to
      >try and execute the local rebel leader who is now seen as a hero, on the
      >same street that a 500lb car bomb had been found days before! There is a
      >gallows in the town square and you are flanked by 2 armed RUC officers
      >as you walk around the town inviting people to see the traitor tried and
      >hanged! And until the last minute it was fully intended to hang him but
      >good taste prevailed! This is what the town council of Lisburn thought
      >would make a good re-enactment! Anyone else had an experience like this?
      >
      >Allan Jones
      >23rd Foot (UK)

      Conversely Alan we had a wonderful reception in Collooney Co. Sligo to
      help them celebrate the Rising of United Irishmen lead by the Protestant
      Wolf Tone in 1798 and Humbert's Regiment de Ligne.

      Many of us worried about what sort of reception we'd get portraying the
      British Army of the late 18th Century in the Irish Republic, there was
      the fear that the Red Coats would not be welcome.

      We could not have been more wrong, apart from the weather we had a
      fabulous weekend and I'm sure that that little market town will be
      talking about our visit for some time, the Weekend the Read Coats (and
      French friends) came back to town. The Irish Army even provided our
      meals! I for one would go back again immediately!

      Cheers, Regards to your lot

      Peter

      IX Regt.

      --
      IX Regt.
    • Allan and Rosemary
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 1999
        Hello Peter

        Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, (we actually went to Ireland
        twice, all expenses paid including hotels - how many re-enactments like
        that do you get!) but what an idea for a re-enactment! At least we
        smoothed the way for you at Collooney! Although I understand that
        Cameron was a bit of a handful! <g>

        Regards to the 9th

        Allan Jones

        "IX Regt." wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > We could not have been more wrong, apart from the weather we had a
        > fabulous weekend and I'm sure that that little market town will be
        > talking about our visit for some time, the Weekend the Read Coats (and
        > French friends) came back to town. The Irish Army even provided our
        > meals! I for one would go back again immediately!
        >
        > Cheers, Regards to your lot
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > IX Regt.

        > >select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.
        > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square
        > >miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
        > >miles...
        >
        > --
        > IX Regt.

        > Is ONElist important to you? Come to our new web site and share with
      • IX Regt.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 1999
          >From: Allan and Rosemary <allan@...>
          >
          >Hello Peter
          >
          >Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, (we actually went to Ireland
          >twice, all expenses paid including hotels - how many re-enactments like
          >that do you get!) but what an idea for a re-enactment! At least we
          >smoothed the way for you at Collooney! Although I understand that
          >Cameron was a bit of a handful! <g>
          Not really, fortunately the wind and was there wind! blew his loyalist
          slogans away from the crowds, who were far to polite to respond. We had
          more trouble with the TV insisting that the British had to die in every
          shot! I was sorry that they didn't want us back to do the second half,
          when the Red Coats turned out in hordes!

          Yrs

          P**