Re: [War Of 1812] Musket tuning - comments and suggestions requested

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@...> wrote:
      Bill Sharette wrote....

      "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the lock."

      Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion. The
      really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after each
      removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't. So
      perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
      suggested.

      I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to get
      it right!

      Peter
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
        The metal inside the locks of the India patterns is relatively soft
        causing the notches in the sear to wear slightly I had a similar
        problem with my India.

        The solution was to take a thin triangular file and file the notches
        in the sear slightly to put a fresh sharp edge on them. If you look
        at the outer edges of the notches you will probably find that they
        are slightly rounded. When the lock is out of the musket you are
        unable to apply the same force to the mechanism as when you have the
        extra leverage of the musket when the lock is installed.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@>
        wrote:
        > Bill Sharette wrote....
        >
        > "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the
        lock."

        > Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion.
        The
        > really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after
        each
        > removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't.
        So
        > perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
        > suggested.
        >
        > I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to
        get
        > it right!
        >
        > Peter

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
          My apologies I meant the notches on the tumbler not the notches on
          the sear. You should also check the end of the sear to make sure it
          isn't rounded.

          I also found it helpful to have the sear and the tumbler hardened
          this seemed to stop the parts wearing.