Re: [War Of 1812] Musket tuning - comments and suggestions requested

  • roy winders
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      Peter, it could be that you have disturbed the seating of the lock, try putting inlet black on the sear
      bar, it may be touching wood inside.
      Roy Winders

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
        wrote:

        > I have just had the shop teacher at my school heat and slightly re-
        bend
        > the cock on my India Pattern Bess.

        Hi Peter,
        Did you use the shop teacher with all ten fingers?
        Be seeing you,
        Bruce
      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@...> wrote:
          Bill Sharette wrote....

          "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the lock."

          Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion. The
          really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after each
          removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't. So
          perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
          suggested.

          I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to get
          it right!

          Peter
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
            The metal inside the locks of the India patterns is relatively soft
            causing the notches in the sear to wear slightly I had a similar
            problem with my India.

            The solution was to take a thin triangular file and file the notches
            in the sear slightly to put a fresh sharp edge on them. If you look
            at the outer edges of the notches you will probably find that they
            are slightly rounded. When the lock is out of the musket you are
            unable to apply the same force to the mechanism as when you have the
            extra leverage of the musket when the lock is installed.

            wrote:

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@>
            wrote:
            > Bill Sharette wrote....
            >
            > "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the
            lock."

            > Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion.
            The
            > really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after
            each
            > removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't.
            So
            > perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
            > suggested.
            >
            > I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to
            get
            > it right!
            >
            > Peter

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
              My apologies I meant the notches on the tumbler not the notches on
              the sear. You should also check the end of the sear to make sure it
              isn't rounded.

              I also found it helpful to have the sear and the tumbler hardened
              this seemed to stop the parts wearing.