Musket tuning - comments and suggestions requested

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      I have just had the shop teacher at my school heat and slightly re-bend
      the cock on my India Pattern Bess. The idea was to bend it slightly
      downward so that it hit the frizzen/pan cover slightly (1/8") lower.
      It now sparks every time!

      BUT - you knew there was a 'but' - the lock now slips off half-cock
      when it's in the stock and screwed down firmly. Out of the musket it
      holds half-cock just fine. I assume the lock is now rubbing on a bit
      of the stock butI can't see how re-shaping the cock can have affected
      that. No other part of the lock was changed in any way, just the angle
      on the neck of the cock.

      Suggestions?

      Puzzled in Alliston
    • Bill Sharrette
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
        After 45 years with flintlocks, I have seen everything.

        Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the lock. This has caused the same condition with me on my locks that you described on yours. After scratching my head and wondering, like you I examined the front of the lock and saw that one of the bridle screws didn't extend to its usual position on the lockplate, it was far shorter than I was used to seeing.

        You see one bridle scres us USUALLY slightly longer than the other. When disassembled it is easy to put the wrong bridle screw into the wrong hole and when torqued down said screw can cant the tumbler's relation to the bridle, throwing the geometry ever so slightly out of allignment, thus allowing the sear to limit its engagement on the tumbler, and presto it goes off at half cock or won't go off at all.

        Try disassembling the lock, and flip/flop the bridle screws, see if this works.

        Then report back.

        (no extra charge for this info!!)

        from a former USMC sergeant (for real),

        Bill Sharrette

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
          After 45 years with flintlocks, I have seen everything.

          Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the lock. This has caused the same condition with me on my locks that you described on yours. After scratching my head and wondering, like you I examined the front of the lock and saw that one of the bridle screws didn't extend to its usual position on the lockplate, it was far shorter than I was used to seeing.

          You see one bridle screw is USUALLY slightly longer than the other. When disassembled it is easy to put the wrong bridle screw into the wrong hole and when torqued down said screw can cant the tumbler's relation to the bridle, throwing the geometry ever so slightly out of allignment, thus allowing the sear to limit its engagement on the tumbler, and presto it goes off at half cock or won't go off at all.

[...]

        • roy winders
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
            Peter, it could be that you have disturbed the seating of the lock, try putting inlet black on the sear
            bar, it may be touching wood inside.
            Roy Winders

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@...>
              wrote:

              > I have just had the shop teacher at my school heat and slightly re-
              bend
              > the cock on my India Pattern Bess.

              Hi Peter,
              Did you use the shop teacher with all ten fingers?
              Be seeing you,
              Bruce
            • peter monahan
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@...> wrote:
                Bill Sharette wrote....

                "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the lock."

                Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion. The
                really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after each
                removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't. So
                perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
                suggested.

                I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to get
                it right!

                Peter
              • Ken
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
                  The metal inside the locks of the India patterns is relatively soft
                  causing the notches in the sear to wear slightly I had a similar
                  problem with my India.

                  The solution was to take a thin triangular file and file the notches
                  in the sear slightly to put a fresh sharp edge on them. If you look
                  at the outer edges of the notches you will probably find that they
                  are slightly rounded. When the lock is out of the musket you are
                  unable to apply the same force to the mechanism as when you have the
                  extra leverage of the musket when the lock is installed.

                  wrote:

                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@>
                  wrote:
                  > Bill Sharette wrote....
                  >
                  > "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the
                  lock."

                  > Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion.
                  The
                  > really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after
                  each
                  > removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't.
                  So
                  > perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
                  > suggested.
                  >
                  > I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter to
                  get
                  > it right!
                  >
                  > Peter

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
                    My apologies I meant the notches on the tumbler not the notches on
                    the sear. You should also check the end of the sear to make sure it
                    isn't rounded.

                    I also found it helpful to have the sear and the tumbler hardened
                    this seemed to stop the parts wearing.