Queenston Heights Participant Schedule

  • Jim Hill
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
      Oct 13, 2007

      As the bicentennial approaches, we would like to take this
      opportunity to have a `practice run' at events that we would
      highlight during the 200th.

      195th Anniversary of the Battle of Queenston Heights.

      `Forget The Tent Event'

      As the name implies, pack light. Breakfast and lunch and
      accommodations are provided for those who have registered. If you
      are not registered or prefer a tent - space will be made available
      for tents at Fort George on Friday night and Queenston Village on
      Saturday night

      Friday October 12th
      With authentic October weather ranging from snow to summer, Fort
      George will be offering their facilities

      One night at Fort George barracks and buildings. Prepare to rough
      it with an air mattress and a blanket.

      Saturday October 13th
      8:00 am Breakfast Provided by the Friends of Fort George

      9:00 am Those marching will prepare to move

      9:30 am Inspection and Flag Raising Honouring Brock & Macdonell

      10 am `March or Fight' Following inspection, some unit members will
      be making the Hike to the Heights. 10.5 km or 6.75 miles Crown
      Forces leading. Rest stops for water and snacks at McFarland House,
      Brown's Point and Laura Secord Homestead. Wool socks, foot powder and
      comfortable footwear strongly recommended. Skirmish at Brown's
      Point Americans push British towards the Village of Queenston

      11:30 am Skirmish in Fort George

      12 Noon - begin move to Queenston Heights Park in personal vehicles.
      One hour to pack kit and drive to the park. Parking at west end of
      Queenston Heights. Those driving should plan to return with members
      who make the march and leave their vehicles at Fort George.

      1:00 pm Lunch Provided by Niagara Falls 1812 Task Force

      2:00 pm Battle west end of park - Donations raised will go to
      Bicentennial Efforts

      2:30 pm Commemorative Service at Brock's Monument

      3 :00 pm Reenactors can Hit the Highway (The General Brock Parkway)
      Shuttles will be made available for those requiring a ride back to
      Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake

      3:00 pm Tour of the Battlefield with author Robert Malcomson (first
      tour at 9am on the heights)

      4:30 pm Sites in Queenston open for those pre-registered for
      accommodation. Bring an Air Mattress and a blanket. SITES ARE
      FULL
      Check out is 9:30 am at the Printery, and Laura Secord Homestead and
      10 am at the Chapel. Doors Open Niagara commences again at 10 am
      Sunday Morning

      6:00 pm Gather for Dinner at the Heights Restaurant $35.00 a plate -
      DINNER IS FULL
      Shuttles will be made available for those requiring a ride from the
      Village of Queenston for dinner and those returning after dinner.

      Sunday October 14th

      Breakfast is not provided. Sites in Queenston must be cleared for
      Doors Open Niagara. Shuttles will be available for those who need to
      return to vehicles.

      Since this event is an experiment. Post event input is welcome. Be
      prepared for schedule changes.
    • DAVE COCKBURN

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
          Hello everyone,
          We now have about 150 people signed up to sleep over at Fort George this Friday night. It is going to be crowded, but I am sure that we will manage. Here is some information:
          --Bunk areas upstairs in blockhouse #2 are available. Some have mattresses, but people should bring bedding. The berths are cosy double, (repeat double) berths. We should put family groups and close friends in these. Wear clean socks.
          --Floor space in Blockhouse #1, #2, and the center hall of the Officer's Quarters will be available. Bring bedding
          --If a group wants to stand sentry, that is great, and you can have the guardhouse. The daybed will sleep 5-6. If you are interested in the cells, please contact me directly. We will have a commissionaire on in the main parking lot all night to guard vehicles. I would ask that vehicles remain on pathways, and once you have off loaded please park in our secure parking lot.

          --People can drive on to the site at 4:30 pm, or hand carry their basic stuff on the site anytime. We have a two wheel garden cart for your use.
          --If any group wishes to use the period kitchen, please contact me directly. Our clockwork spit jack will cook a large dog, or a small child.
          --We welcome large dogs and small children at our site. Please let me know if you are bringing any 4 or 8 legged friends.
          --We are offering washrooms, showers (first come first served), a musket cleaning space if required. The Friends of Fort George are offering a full breakfast for participants. They have a great store and your support goes towards stuff like this.
          --I will have a basic sign in, but this will not capture groups not sleeping over, etc.
          --Candles,open flame, and smoking are all not permitted in buildings. The barracks buildings has smoke and CO detectors. If an alarm goes off, get out, and form up in the NW bastion, to the left of the front gate. We should be upwind, and away from the route of any emergency vehicles.
          --Groups are responsible for staking off their own space, and for being cooperative in making sure that everyone is as comfortable as possible. All of the spaces I mentioned have heat, except the guardhouse and cells.

          It is going to be a fun event, and a really significant one for people in this region. If you have any questions at all, please contact me!
          --Dave Webb (905)m 468-6612, david.webb@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2007
              Hi, I will have parking passes available on Friday, and they will be in the visitor centre on Saturday after 10am. If you arrive earlier on Saturday, the parking passes will be in the staff building (Blockhouse #3, inside the Fort. Or you can find me for them.
              I will make arrangements for the town to cease ticketing our lot for the event. However, the passes are still a good idea. If you do in fact get a ticket, (in our lot) please leave them with me, or at the visitor center, and we will make them magically disappear.
              For those who have never visited Fort George, there are signs leading to the fort from the QEW highway. Most will approach from the Niagara Parkway, South of the Fort and town. You should drive past the Fort parking lot, until you come to a stop sign. Turn right, and right at the second stop. Follow Byron Street past the Queen's Landing Hotel, to the service entrance leading inside Fort George. (Byron street is an extension of Prideaux St, one block closer to the Lake and River, and parallel to Queen/Picton Street, the main drag. The fort entrance is just over 9' wide.
              --Dave Webb