Fanshawe thank you

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1 6:46 PM
      Thank you everyone for your kind words and attendance to Fanshawe
      1812. A lot of work but well worth it. There were a lot of
      individuals behind the scenes who put this one together. Forgive me
      if I miss anyone but I want to ensure that a few notables get due
      credit.

      From the 1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers; Glyn Parsons, Linda Parsons,
      Kevin Garrett, Ron Zboril, my wife Karen, and of course Hal who has
      continuously talked this event up.

      From the village; Sheila, Lana, Eleanor, Nelson, Robert, Jeremy and
      Jeff for allowing us to take over their village and play. We are
      invited back again next year.

      Speaking of next year, the event is once again the weekend before
      the Canadian Thanksgiving as it was this year but will fall in
      October as it usually does. The date had previously been posted on
      the events list under 2008 event planner
      http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/id11.html

      October 4th and 5th, 2008.

      No firm decision has been made on another ed day but feedback has
      been very positive.

      Thanks for all the wonderfully positive comments we all received
      this weekend. Feel free to send comments about the weekend to me to
      pass on to the other organizers to make it even better.

      More pictures of the event are available on the Royal Scots album
      site;
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/10853792@N08/sets/72157602225379648/

      Thank you again and we will see there next year.
      Fanshawe 1812 - The Invasion of Upper Canada
      October 4th and 5th, 2008

      Dave Westhouse
      1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers

      I will leave you with some of the comments received by some of the
      teachers from the ed day on the 28th;

      -Really liked the encampment and found touring the encampment
      interesting and informative

      -Valued the Native perspective that was represented throughout the
      day

      -4 hrs was a great time to do all of the activities

      -Liked making corn husk dolls and learning about a woman's life when
      a man is away from home at the Life without a Man station.

      - Liked the Republican Views and the interaction provided by the
      school house teachers and the activities they presented to students.

      -Students really enjoyed the hands on activities

      -"Great Day - Please do again next year." - Major Ballachey P.S.

      -"We thoroughly enjoyed our day." - Sarnia Christian School
    • Dave Westhouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8 9:19 AM
        Thank you everyone for your kind words and attendance at Fanshawe 1812
        The Invasion of Upper Canada this past weekend.

        Seeing and hearing the joy everyone had makes all the hard work of
        preparation worthwhile. It all starts again now for next year. There
        are still a few bugs to work out but we listened to what you all said
        during the weekend and the few frustrations that were evident to make
        it that much better in years to come.

        It's amazing to see Tecumseh field come to life and fill with canvas
        within a matter of hours. Because of crop rotation we needed to move
        the battlefield but it worked out great. Next year we are thinking of
        something different and lots of fun. As well, we will be suggesting
        some improvements the site can do to improve, but once again we are
        only advisers and cannot make them do anything.

        I would like to thank all the units that put up and took down colours,
        individuals who assisted with mini-militia and would like also to
        point out a few individuals who worked tirelessly to bring it all
        together.
        All the members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company for supporting
        the event and doing little things to help make the work easier.
        Hal Dennison for sharing a vision, pushing the event and
        offering advice and logistical support.
        Kevin Garrett, our pioneer, for helping with site setup, making sure
        our flag poles were ready and helping with the skirmish plus a
        multitude of other tasks including a wonderful rum ration. (He
        particularly enjoyed chopping down the flag poles to recover the
        hardware for use next year)
        Ron Zboril for helpful advice and mini-militia detail.
        The ladies of our unit for running the background detail and keeping
        us fed so well (the skull on our website photo album is from our roast
        pig dinner).
        Glyn and Linda Parsons for all the other background work to bring it
        together. Linda works in the village store and was there for all our
        meetings. Glyn worked with me from Wednesday in the rain for 2 days to
        bring it all together and was the other person who did so much and
        deserves praise from all for a wonderful event.

        Thank you all for coming and see you there next year and at all the
        events along the way.

        Dave Westhouse, Sgt.
        1st Royal Scots Grenadiers.

        Fanshawe 1812 - The Invasion of Upper Canada.

        Photos from the event can be seen at;
        http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/images.html

        "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things
        you didn't do than by the ones that you did. So throw off the
        bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your
        sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

        --- Mark Twain