sore feet etc.

  • DAVID HINKLEY
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      I won't be at Mississenewa this year due to a family illness. Everybody have a great time, I'll miss you.

      But after Niagra let me make a suggestion. Crown Forces regulations are for a pace that is considerably slower than your modern 6 foot frames tend to march. The pace and regulation needs to slow if we want to get it right. I got my hands on the regs after Niagra and put the beats per minute on my metronome to the pace and it is surprising slower than we generally march. The stride is considerably shorter also. As a short legged little fat boy I was highly motvated to understand the mechanics at hand. I felt like a little kid running to keep up. You might be capable of a fast paced 45" stride but it is totally John Wayne farb. Of course I can loose weight but the good Lord put my ass just so far above the earth and the length of my inseam is out of my control. We march best when it's done right, uniform, by the regs and smoothly where we all keep up. On behalf of short fat men everywhere....

      Dave Hinkley
      aka Fat Little Pudding Boy
      95th Regiment

      WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      a forum for discussion of all aspects of the War of 1812-14 between the United Kingdom and the United States; including all rel
      Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)
      1a.
      Re: Sore feet! Considerations for the Queenston ramble From: James Yaworsky
      2a.
      File - The 10 Commandments of Email.doc From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      View All Topics | Create New Topic
      Messages
      1a.
      Re: Sore feet! Considerations for the Queenston ramble Posted by: "James Yaworsky" yawors1@... yawors1 Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:29 am (PST) --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
      wrote:
      [snip] While the soldiers of 1812 weren't marching on asphalt they
      > did march on more than dirt roads and fields. The main difference
      was that they were wearing wool socks.

      There's another difference too. I remember the first Stoney Creek
      'death march' (199?) - I personally made it, hobbling over the "finish
      line" - but I lost three toenails and wore sandals for two months
      afterwards in the process... when I took my brogans off when I got
      home (I knew I couldn't take them off at the event and hope to get
      them back on), my wife was horrified to notice all the dried (and not
      so dried) blood...

      What I got from that experience was a true appreciation for why there
      was a five minute halt every hour, and why such a march was done at
      the "at ease" and at a fairly moderate pace. Because in the 199?
      march, we kept speeding up to "get it over with", and although three
      stops had been planned, we were all too stupid to actually rest at the
      first stop (Hamilton City Hall), and we voted to skip the third stop
      ("let's get this over with!").

      In effect, we literally marched ourselves in to the ground.

      Moderate pace and 5 minute break every hour, during which you sit
      down, maybe remove your boots, wool socks, and wipe your feet as Kevin
      suggests - that's the ticket to arriving in one piece and fit to
      engage in combat!

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st
      Stoney Creek Death March survivor

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (10)

      2a.
      File - The 10 Commandments of Email.doc Posted by: "WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com" WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com Mon Oct 1, 2007 2:15 am (PST)

      File : The 10 Commandments of Email.doc
      Description :

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (10)

      Recent Activity

      1
      New Members

      1
      New Photos

      Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! News
      Kevin Sites
      Get coverage of
      world crises.

      Stay in Shape
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Find a fitness Group
      & get motivated.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Your one stop
      for beauty & fashion
      tips and advice.

      Need to Reply?

      Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Members
      War of 1812 Living History:
      A wide-ranging information exchange
      for all participants and supporters

      Crown Forces Unit Listing: