Re: [War Of 1812] Re: And now to open up another can of worms...

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 26, 2007
      In a message dated 26/09/2007 12:38:07 Central Standard Time,
      ronaldjdale@... writes:

      If one becomes obsessed with authenticity in kit at the expense of
      historical information or vice versa, the medium suffers. Balance in all things and
      the pursuit of excellence are the watchwords.

      I absolutely agree Ron but, again some head scratching, if one is interested
      in historical information why would one not use that information to ensure
      the authenticity of ones kit? I don't see that either thing should suffer!

      the old adage is 'practice what you preach' though I must say I haven't
      heard that much lately!

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 26, 2007
        Well said, Tim.? Of course research should include all facets but some will concentrate only on materiel culture at the expense of the "story."

        Ron

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 29, 2008
          Gentlemen,

          I'm new to the 1812 timeline (& this group) and was looking at the
          DG Springfield as well. I usually subscribe to the "you get what
          youpay for" adage, so am concerned about quality, also.

          Has anyone purchased one of these muskets recently, and if so, have
          the quality issues mentioned by others been resolved to your
          satisfaction?

          Gary Hopkins
          Avilla, Indiana, USA

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...>
          wrote:

          > All-
          > Has anyone on this list actually seen/handled/fired one of
          the 1795
          > Springfield / 1766 Charleville muskets from Discriminating
          General? These
          > haven't been on the market long, so I have yet to hear anything
          myself.
          > Four years ago I got one of their 1740s Long Lands, which I had a
          number of
          > issues with, mechanically speaking, and the stock also left a
          great deal to
          > be desired in terms of shape/contour. I have been informed that
          DG seems to