Re: [War Of 1812] deployment of light troops with a column/advanced guard

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2007
      Thanks Mark!

      Gee, now I know what you fellows are doing when you're advancing on me..

      Thank the gods of war for canister..

      "Major" Tom

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2007
        Darn it. I knew I shouldn't have given secrets to one of the US commanders!

        I have an entire book from our period that describes various different formations for light infantry depending on the task at hand. Such as how to scour a field, woods, a defile, approach a town, placing pickets and sentries....
        If you want Tom, I can loan it to you sometime. I am working on putting it into digital format, but it is a very long, slow process.

        Mark D

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2007
          Nope.. you shouldn't..

          I'm thinking that for the 200th at some more southern events, the red line might be a little sparse. We Canadian Yanks might be moved to don the red wool (gack!!) for equalization purposes and so, it would be nice to know some Tory drill..

          Would be interested in the book, Mark.

          See you Friday?

          "Major" Tom

          <snip>

          Darn it. I knew I shouldn't have given secrets to one of the US commanders!

          Mark D

          Recent Activity
          a.. 1New Members
          b.. 1New Photos
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News
          Kevin Sites

          Get coverage of

          world crises.

          Sell Online
          Start selling with

          our award-winning

          e-commerce tools.

          Moderator Central
          Get answers to

          your questions about

          running Y! Groups.
          .

        • buffssgt
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2007
            Mark,

            I'd love to see a digital copy of the book as well. Just wondering
            what is the background, i.e. year published, in Britain, North
            America?, written by regular officer, militia officer?

            Tom,

            As far as galvanizing into other impressions many of us in the Buffs
            are happy to go "both ways."

            We went to Sackets Harbor this year, and aside from Ron of the first
            Foot, we were the only redcoats there. But when's the last
            Chrysler's Farm event you went to and said "They could use a few more
            English troops here?"

            For most of us we've already made the more expensive investment with
            the British regular kit. And we're constantly improving that. Our
            second generation of uniforms look much better than our first.

            But that comes with the hobby. There is nearly always a chance for
            us to improve on what we're doing.

            However...

            One of our members has done a lot of research into some of the
            Vermont militias during the war. Consequently some of us are putting
            together uniformed militia impressions (as opposed to the
            minuteman/Daniel Boone militiamen reminicent of the American
            Revolution bi-centennial years) so hopefully we can go to Chrysler's
            Farm as American troops. Maybe that way the IMUC or Norfolk can be
            British for two days instead of having to change over.

            Regards,

            Josh Wingler

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...>
            wrote:

            > Nope.. you shouldn't..
            >
            > I'm thinking that for the 200th at some more southern events, the
            red line might be a little sparse. We Canadian Yanks might be moved
            to don the red wool (gack!!) for equalization purposes and so, it
            would be nice to know some Tory drill..

            > Would be interested in the book, Mark.
            >
            > See you Friday?
            >
            > "Major" Tom
            >

            > <snip>
            >

            > Darn it. I knew I shouldn't have given secrets to one of the US
            commanders!

            > Mark D

          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
              It comes from the book "Regulations for Exercise of Riflemen and Light Infantry, and instructions for their conduct in the field", London, Printed for the War Office, 1799. It was written by "a German Officer of distiction, and much military experience {and} has been perused by his Royal Highness the commander in Chief...", Horse Guards, 1st August 1798.

              I assume the author is Francis DeRottenburg.

              Mark Dickerson

              I'd love to see a digital copy of the book as well. Just wondering
              what is the background, i.e. year published, in Britain, North
              America?, written by regular officer, militia officer?

              Recent Activity
              a.. 1New Members
              b.. 1New Photos
              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Odd News

              You won't believe

              it, but it's true

              Sell Online
              Start selling with

              our award-winning

              e-commerce tools.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Be a Better Planet

              Share with others

              Help the Planet.
              .

            • buffssgt
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
                Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

                It will be interesting to see in a complete form.

                Josh Wingler

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>