Re: Bess carbine

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hi Dan

      Thai topic was somewhat explored before with a discuss of the
      meaning of the term "fusil" on an inspection return for the 41st
      Regiment. The following was referenced as a possible explanation:

      http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(788).htm

      1807 Sergeant's Carbine

      This carbine was made especially for NCO's who needed a lighter,
      shorter weapon. Except for smaller dimension it is very similar to
      the India Pattern Musket. This weapon is the same as the India
      Pattern Artillery Carbine which has a 39" barrel compared to the 37"
      barrel on this gun in .66 caliber. The lock plate measures 6 1/8" x
      1 1/6". The throw of the cock is 1 11/16".

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment