Bess carbine

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
      I have heard many conflicting stories and am looking for a definitive
      answere. Was there such a thing as the Brown Bess carbine?
    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <aires51@...> wrote:

        > I have heard many conflicting stories and am looking for a definitive
        > answere. Was there such a thing as the Brown Bess carbine?

        Yes.
      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Dan

          Thai topic was somewhat explored before with a discuss of the
          meaning of the term "fusil" on an inspection return for the 41st
          Regiment. The following was referenced as a possible explanation:

          http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(788).htm

          1807 Sergeant's Carbine

          This carbine was made especially for NCO's who needed a lighter,
          shorter weapon. Except for smaller dimension it is very similar to
          the India Pattern Musket. This weapon is the same as the India
          Pattern Artillery Carbine which has a 39" barrel compared to the 37"
          barrel on this gun in .66 caliber. The lock plate measures 6 1/8" x
          1 1/6". The throw of the cock is 1 11/16".

          Tom Fournier
          41st Regiment