Re: [War Of 1812] SAFETY INCIDENT - Woodland Indian Re-enactor Arms Burned at Fair at New Boston OH

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      I am sure that Mr. Williams will have considerably more detail (and sage
      advice) to offer, as he is FAR more experienced with this sort of thing
      than am I, but, FWIW, we were both there, and we asked an organizer
      exactly what had happened. The gentleman in question was not using a
      traditional cartridge pouch of any sort, but instead something more
      along the lines of a possibles bag, with the flap stitched to the
      strap. He was an experienced re-enactor -- leading one also to the
      caveat that "familiarity breeds contempt."

      If I understood the discussion correctly, it was deemed far more likely
      that there was loose powder in the bag, and that that was what had
      ignited, rather than a spark burning through pre-rolled cartridges. Mr.
      Williams?

      -- Sioux

      Gordon Deans wrote:

      'Safety requires constant vigilance."

    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        I have little to add to the notes that Susan has forwarded.
        It is a case of using a "possibles" or "hunting" bag for a purpose it
        wasn't designed for, carrying cartridges.
        Fortunately, there is plenty of evidence of native warriors carrying
        cartridge boxes during the 1812 War so it shouldn't be a problem for
        us. These fellows, who have excellent impressions usually do Rev War
        and I won't speak to what they are used to there, but as Susan
        pointed out we were told that the unfortunate chap had sewn the flap
        to the strap, perhaps to ease in retrieving rounds, exposing himself
        unnecessarily ?
        I hope to hear more details later. The main thing here is that we
        keep a good thought for Ralph and hope for a speedy recovery.
        We started a collection to help defray the cost for him. I don't
        imagine a Helicopter ride to the hospital is cheap.

        Craig