SAFETY INCIDENT - Woodland Indian Re-enactor Arms Burned at Fair at New Boston OH

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      Woodland Indian Re-enactor Ralph Arms from Danville, Ohio, was burned
      from the waist up at the 18th century Fair at New Boston OH on
      Saturday, September 1, 2007 when his cartridge pouch ignited while
      participating in a 21-gun salute after the afternoon battle
      re-enactment.

      Both an ambulance and a helicopter responded to the battlefield.

      The full articles from the Springfield News-Sun OH have been uploaded
      to the Files section REENACTMENT SAFETY folder in the Word document
      file SAFETY - Native Re-enactor Arms Burned 20070902.doc

      'Safety requires constant vigilance."
    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        I am sure that Mr. Williams will have considerably more detail (and sage
        advice) to offer, as he is FAR more experienced with this sort of thing
        than am I, but, FWIW, we were both there, and we asked an organizer
        exactly what had happened. The gentleman in question was not using a
        traditional cartridge pouch of any sort, but instead something more
        along the lines of a possibles bag, with the flap stitched to the
        strap. He was an experienced re-enactor -- leading one also to the
        caveat that "familiarity breeds contempt."

        If I understood the discussion correctly, it was deemed far more likely
        that there was loose powder in the bag, and that that was what had
        ignited, rather than a spark burning through pre-rolled cartridges. Mr.
        Williams?

        -- Sioux

        Gordon Deans wrote:

        'Safety requires constant vigilance."

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
          I have little to add to the notes that Susan has forwarded.
          It is a case of using a "possibles" or "hunting" bag for a purpose it
          wasn't designed for, carrying cartridges.
          Fortunately, there is plenty of evidence of native warriors carrying
          cartridge boxes during the 1812 War so it shouldn't be a problem for
          us. These fellows, who have excellent impressions usually do Rev War
          and I won't speak to what they are used to there, but as Susan
          pointed out we were told that the unfortunate chap had sewn the flap
          to the strap, perhaps to ease in retrieving rounds, exposing himself
          unnecessarily ?
          I hope to hear more details later. The main thing here is that we
          keep a good thought for Ralph and hope for a speedy recovery.
          We started a collection to help defray the cost for him. I don't
          imagine a Helicopter ride to the hospital is cheap.

          Craig