[War Of 1812] Re: New book - Latimer

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

      > Bob:
      > The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
      > bad.
      > I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
      > I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
      > Ray

      Amazon.ca is selling it for $23.23. Release date is listed as
      September 15.

      Jim Yaworsky
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2011
        List:I have just added to my library a new book which relates in part to the War of 1812.
        Maya Jasanoff, LIberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in a Revolutionary World. New York: A Knopf, 2011. Jasanoff is the author of the brilliant Edge of Empire, which won the prestigious Duff Cooper prize for history in 2005.
        Her new book is a thorough examination of the aspirations, fears and fate of the loyalists during the revolution, and has a final section dealing with their settlement in Canada, and their ambiguous reaction to the war of 1812.
        It is a great read, extremely well-written and researched. There is always something new to learn.
        Yr ServantRay Hobbs

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2011
          Lists:Yesterday I purchased a copy of Jonathon Riley's new book, "A Matter of Honour: The Life, Campaigns and Generalship of Isaac Brock", published by Robin Brass. The author is known to some of us. I read the first chapter and will have the rest for week-end reading (it's going to rain!). What I have read thus far is beautifully written and well-researched, and it bodes well for what follows.Don Graves makes a very interesting point in the intro. The author is an accomplished historian, and a fighting general. He has commanded far more men than ever Brock did, and can offer a unique insight into the context of the subject.Yrs etc.Ray H