Re: [War Of 1812] Re: New book

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2 7:00 AM
      Bob:
      The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
      bad.
      I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
      I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
      Ray

      On 2-Sep-07, at 9:42 AM, bolton1812 wrote:

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > List:
      > > A new book is out today in bookstores:
      > >
      > > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
      > University
      > > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
      > >
      > > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!)
      > and
      > > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
      > > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
      > both.
      > >
      > > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-
      > scale
      > > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it
      > published in
      > > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he
      > cites in
      > > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the
      > events
      > > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
      > > there."
      > >
      > > Happy reading
      > > Yrs etc.
      > > Ray Hobbs
      >
      > Ray,
      > Are we talking Borders and Barnes and Noble stores? Whats the
      > price on this volumn? Thanks.
      > Cheers,
      > Bob Bolton

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3 1:39 PM
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

        > Bob:
        > The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
        > bad.
        > I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
        > I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
        > Ray

        Amazon.ca is selling it for $23.23. Release date is listed as
        September 15.

        Jim Yaworsky
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2011
          List:I have just added to my library a new book which relates in part to the War of 1812.
          Maya Jasanoff, LIberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in a Revolutionary World. New York: A Knopf, 2011. Jasanoff is the author of the brilliant Edge of Empire, which won the prestigious Duff Cooper prize for history in 2005.
          Her new book is a thorough examination of the aspirations, fears and fate of the loyalists during the revolution, and has a final section dealing with their settlement in Canada, and their ambiguous reaction to the war of 1812.
          It is a great read, extremely well-written and researched. There is always something new to learn.
          Yr ServantRay Hobbs

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2011
            Lists:Yesterday I purchased a copy of Jonathon Riley's new book, "A Matter of Honour: The Life, Campaigns and Generalship of Isaac Brock", published by Robin Brass. The author is known to some of us. I read the first chapter and will have the rest for week-end reading (it's going to rain!). What I have read thus far is beautifully written and well-researched, and it bodes well for what follows.Don Graves makes a very interesting point in the intro. The author is an accomplished historian, and a fighting general. He has commanded far more men than ever Brock did, and can offer a unique insight into the context of the subject.Yrs etc.Ray H