Re: New book

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

      > List:
      > A new book is out today in bookstores:
      >
      > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
      University
      > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
      >
      > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!)
      and
      > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
      > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
      both.

      > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-
      scale
      > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it
      published in
      > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he
      cites in
      > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the
      events
      > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
      > there."
      >
      > Happy reading
      > Yrs etc.
      > Ray Hobbs

      Ray,
      Are we talking Borders and Barnes and Noble stores? Whats the
      price on this volumn? Thanks.
      Cheers,
      Bob Bolton

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
        Bob:
        The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
        bad.
        I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
        I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
        Ray

        On 2-Sep-07, at 9:42 AM, bolton1812 wrote:

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > List:
        > > A new book is out today in bookstores:
        > >
        > > Jon Latimer, 1812: War with America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
        > University
        > > Press, 2007. (pp. 635) ISBN -13:978-0-674-02584-4
        > >
        > > It is a detailed study of the war (look at the number of pages!!)
        > and
        > > will take its place alongside Hitsman and Stanley as standard
        > > treatments of the war, although I think it is better-written than
        > both.
        > >
        > > Jon is British, and is the only British author to write a full-
        > scale
        > > treatment on the war. It is ironic that he had to have it
        > published in
        > > the States, since no British publishers were interested. As he
        > cites in
        > > his introduction It is not that the British have forgotten the
        > events
        > > in North America between 1812 and 1815 "for they have been known
        > > there."
        > >
        > > Happy reading
        > > Yrs etc.
        > > Ray Hobbs
        >
        > Ray,
        > Are we talking Borders and Barnes and Noble stores? Whats the
        > price on this volumn? Thanks.
        > Cheers,
        > Bob Bolton

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

          > Bob:
          > The Canadian price is $45, which for an 800 page book (almost) is not
          > bad.
          > I ordered it through my local bookstore, which is not part of a chain.
          > I believe it is available through most of the large chains now.
          > Ray

          Amazon.ca is selling it for $23.23. Release date is listed as
          September 15.

          Jim Yaworsky
        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2011
            List:I have just added to my library a new book which relates in part to the War of 1812.
            Maya Jasanoff, LIberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in a Revolutionary World. New York: A Knopf, 2011. Jasanoff is the author of the brilliant Edge of Empire, which won the prestigious Duff Cooper prize for history in 2005.
            Her new book is a thorough examination of the aspirations, fears and fate of the loyalists during the revolution, and has a final section dealing with their settlement in Canada, and their ambiguous reaction to the war of 1812.
            It is a great read, extremely well-written and researched. There is always something new to learn.
            Yr ServantRay Hobbs

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2011
              Lists:Yesterday I purchased a copy of Jonathon Riley's new book, "A Matter of Honour: The Life, Campaigns and Generalship of Isaac Brock", published by Robin Brass. The author is known to some of us. I read the first chapter and will have the rest for week-end reading (it's going to rain!). What I have read thus far is beautifully written and well-researched, and it bodes well for what follows.Don Graves makes a very interesting point in the intro. The author is an accomplished historian, and a fighting general. He has commanded far more men than ever Brock did, and can offer a unique insight into the context of the subject.Yrs etc.Ray H