Re: [War Of 1812] "Soap dish"

  • ANDREW BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
      From: "Ray Hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>

      > List:
      > In Stuart Reid's book "The British Redcoat" vol. 2, plate "K" there is
      > depicted the contents of a Pioneer's knapsack. Included is a wooden
      > soapdish.
      > Has anyone seen an authentic one of these?

      I have a reproduction one from G. Gedney Godwin:
      http://www.gggodwin.com/545.htm
      Godwin cites "Mr. George Woodbridge's research", but I don't have any
      primary info on this piece of equipment myself. Basically you hold the dish
      by the handle and work up a lather on the soap with the brush. It would be
      handier to pack one of these than a shaving mug. The Godwin shaving kit was
      discussed a few years ago on this list, and the main problems with it are
      that the brush bristles should be bound in place with cord instead of pushed
      into drilled holes in the modern way, and the fact that it's difficult to
      find period correct "slab sided" razors. Most reproduction razors (and most
      antique store razors from the 19th and 20th centuries) are hollow ground.

      Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
        Thanks Andrew:
        I believe Woodbridge was an expert in ACW uniform and kit, and also
        published in Rev War. Did he ever produce something on the Napoleonic
        period?
        Ray

        On 25-Aug-07, at 11:54 AM, ANDREW BATEMAN wrote:

> [...]

      • Bob Dorian
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
          Andrew & list,

          You can regularly find wedge blade straight razors on eBay for $25 US or less. For the 1812 period, the handle should have little or NO curve and a short tang. That boosts the price to about $100 US. Just depends on how authentic you want to be. I will have a couple of this type with me at Mississinewa if you want to look at one.

          Regards,

          Bob Dorian
          US Engineer
          Independence, Missouri, USA