Bladensburg Flags

  • tedyeat
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      I just downloaded the pictures posted from the museum. Question; is
      the "James City Light Infantry" of the 38th U.S. Regulars or a 38th
      Md.? Enquiring minds would like to know....

      YH&OS,
      T. Yeatman
    • Brian Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        Ted,

        My understanding is that it is of the James City Light
        Infantry, James City County, Virginia and it was
        captured at the battle of Hampton on June 25th, 1813.
        The Hampton History Museum apparently is studying the
        possibility of having the colors sent home to Virginia
        but am not aware of any progress. I have been wrong
        before.

        Brian Howard
        Fort Norfolk Garrison, 1812-183

        --- tedyeat <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > I just downloaded the pictures posted from the
        > museum. Question; is
        > the "James City Light Infantry" of the 38th U.S.
        > Regulars or a 38th
        > Md.? Enquiring minds would like to know....
        >
        > YH&OS,
        > T. Yeatman

        Got a little couch potato?
      • tedyeat
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          What I find odd is how there WOULDN'T be some flags taken at
          Bladenasburg.It was one of the worst defeats in American military
          history. Were the British in THAT big a hurry?

          Militia flags have been an item of interest.Lossing has a picture of
          a flag attributed to the "Jefferson Blues" of Maryland, carried at
          North point. It would appear that individual Volunteer companies had
          their own standards. I might have thought regimental standards would
          have been the norm. Also, they seem to bear some resemblance to
          Regular standards,at least with ones I've seen pictured or heard
          about. There were exceptions. I think one militia unit from
          Bladensburg carried a banner that dated from the American Revolution
          period with a scroll and motto in the center. Even then we are
          speaking of a company flag.

          YH&OS
          T. Yeatman

          ______________
          > Got a little couch potato?
          > http://search.yahoo.com/search?
          fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

        • spikeyj
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:19:06 -0000
            "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:
            > What I find odd is how there WOULDN'T be some flags taken
            > at Bladensburg.It was one of the worst defeats in
            American
            > military history. Were the British in THAT big a hurry?

            Or were the retreating USAn units in such a hurry that they
            left the path of the oncoming British before they and their
            colours could be overrun?

            Spike Y Jones
            http://www.nni.com/