Re: “ the recreated units list" or "if your so perfect cast the first stone"

  • barrymacgregor
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
      Larry

      Thank you for you explanation of history of the list. I would
      suggest that you could use the updates recently posted here on the
      Crown forces listing. Specifically would you add ON GWE HO WAY
      native unit to the list as we have been participating in the battles
      for several years now.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Barry MacGreegor

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
      wrote:

      > "the recreated units list
      > or
      > "if your so perfect cast the first stone"
      >

      > Ladies, Gentlemen and Yahoo Group Subscribers All
      >

      > Some time ago after Jim Yaworsky created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group.
      >
      > I was asked what Military Units were represented on this WarOf1812
      > Yahoo Group so I posted a list. I continued to do so until I
      > railroaded Michael Mathews into maintaining the list.
      >
      > I was then asked to create
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > This web Site is a list of re-created Military Re-enactment Units
      of
      > BRITISH ~ CANADIAN ~ MILITIA ~ ALLIED forces located in the United
      > States and Canada and their contacts.
      >
      > This collection of re-created Military Re-enactment Units were
      given
      > the convenient name of CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA {CFNA} to
      > differentiate them from a similar group doing the American
      > Revolutionary War Time Period.
      >
      > The Web Site
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > is updated as to units attending Crown Forces Events
      > and it is the duty of the contact person to update the Unit's
      > information on a yearly basis.
      >

      > As Jim has said "to keep you all on the same page"
      >
      > I take the liberty to add . . .
      >
      > Michael Mathews gets no remuneration (is not paid) for maintaining
      > the Recreated Units List and does not deserve any negative postings
      > as to his work on this list.
      >
      > He has the thankless job of updating a List of " Recreated Military
      > Units that are represented on the Yahoo 1812 OneList" (and does a
      > fine job I might add)
      >
      > It is just that . . . a list of 'Recreated Military Units' that are
      > represented on this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group"
      >
      > If your Unit's main function is to portray Civilian Camp Life, etc.
      > ... then you are not a Recreated Military Unit. Simple!
      >
      > Also . . .
      >
      > Mr. Mathews has the right to maintain this list Units as he sees
      fit
      > as it is not an official WarOf1812 Yahoo Group list. It is merle a
      > list which he is maintaining for the information to subscribers of
      > this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group.
      >
      > It is the responsibility of the Unit Commander to contact Mr.
      Mathews
      > and request that their unit be listed if it is a Recreated Military
      > Unit.
      >
      > I comment on this as I started the 'Recreated Military Units that
      are
      > represented on this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group List' for the reasons
      > listed above.
      >
      > I did not remove or alter Jim Yaworsky's post (below) as I think we
      > should all read it again.
      >
      > Yrs.,
      > Larry Lozon (L2)
      > Upper Canada (Ontario)
      >
      > United States Forces 1812 http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      > Crown Forces North America 1812 http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      > 2007 WAR Of 1812 Events
      > http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist Sutlers &
      Merchants
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants
      >
      > --------------------------------
      >
      > "Michael Mathews" wrote:
      >
      > [snip] The list is exactly what it is; "Recreated Military Units
      that
      > are represented on the Yahoo 1812 OneList". As such it is a sub-set
      > of the greater whole for the information and interest of some.
      [snip]

      > The two criteria for appearing on the list till now have been:
      Being
> [...]
      or
      > something like that...)
      >
      > Somebody got the idea of making up a Units list. The Events list
      > already existed and was and is a very useful source of info. The
      > Units list? It might predate the Crown Forces list, and maybe the
      > unified American forces list, so might have had more relevance back
      > when it was created.
      >
      > But really, if you have a reason to contact any given unit, you
      don't
      > have to go and check to see if it's on "the units list". You can
      just
      > post your query to the List, and presumably if someone from that
      unit
      > is a member, they'll get back to you.
      >
      > Or, someone who *is* a member of the list will be able to assist you
      > in making contact with the unit you are looking for, if none of its
      > members are members of this group.
      >
      > For that matter, even if the unit *is* on "the list", there's no
      > guarantee the unit even still exists. The fact the unit appears on
      > the units' list simply means at some point in time, the unit
      existed,
      > and one of its members *used* to be either a member of this group,
      or
      > a member of the unit, but has since left one or the other. Or both.
      >
      > Getting confused yet?
      >
      > At the moment, "the Units List" is, I suppose, a sort of "one-stop"
      > semi-official place you can go to see all the American and
      > Anglo-Canadian units that are probably currently active. Maybe. But
      > not guaranteed. So if you were looking for something definitive,
      > your search would not be over!
      >
      > As far as I know, nobody bothers to inform Michael Matthews if a
      unit
      > disbands or becomes inactive... so it might remain on "the list"...
      >
      > I guess it might be a pride thing to be on this list. Why, I'm not
      > quite sure.
      >
      > Personally, my feeling is if anybody wants their "unit" to be on it,
      > then why not? I suspect there are a few "units" on this list that in
      > actuality consist of one or two people. Is that a "unit"? So a
      > semi-civilian group that actually has a bunch of members and is
      > actually turning out for stuff seems to have a good enough claim to
      be
      > "on the list", to me.
      >
      > However, Michael's reasoning re: the title of this list - "Re-
      created
      > *Military* units" also makes sense to me. I don't think Michael is
      > trying to put down any group. There is no reason for anybody to be
      > taking offense here.
      >
      > Frankly, this all seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot.
      >
      > Michael is in charge of the list. If you are not happy with one of
      > his rulings, you can e-mail me off list, and I'll try and "moderate"
      > the "issue". Michael will tell me to go to hell, and maybe, you'll
      > then get an offer to be the next "official" keeper of "the list"! I

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:
        [snip]
        > I was asked what Military Units were represented on this WarOf1812
        > Yahoo Group so I posted a list. [snip]

        I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
        we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>)

        Jim Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
          "barrymacgregor" wrote:

          Larry

          Thank you for you explanation of history of the list. I would
          suggest that you could use the updates recently posted here on the
          Crown forces listing. Specifically would you add ON GWE HO WAY
          native unit to the list as we have been participating in the battles
          for several years now. Thanks in advance for your help.

          Mr. MacGreegor

          Attendance is usually taken at Officer's Call at Crown Forces Events
          I have not seen you or a rep from ON GWE HO WAY native unit at
          these meetings.

          Your unit has requested posting to http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          and that request has been passed on.

          Yrs.,
          L2
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
            "James Yaworsky" wrote:

            I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
            we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>

            Jim,
            I would normally take the blame

            but if you hadn't created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group

            I would have not created the 'the recreated units list'

            so . . . it's "JIM'S FAULT!!" ;-)

            Never take the blame when there is someone else you can hang it
            on!!:*)

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • James Yaworsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

              > "James Yaworsky" wrote:
              >
              > I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
              > we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>
              >

              > Jim,
              > I would normally take the blame
              >
              > but if you hadn't created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group
              >
              > I would have not created the 'the recreated units list'
              >
              > so . . . it's "JIM'S FAULT!!" ;-)
              >

              > Never take the blame when there is someone else you can hang it
              > on!!:*)
              >

              > Yrs.,
              > L2

              OUCH! "Tou-shay", as the Frenchies say...

              Jim
            • barrymacgregor
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                Larry

                Thank you for your promt resonse.

                Memory is such a fleeting thing.... ;) , we have been at the
                officers meetings at both Stoney Creek and Longwoods. If you have had
                meetings outside of those, please advise us in the future of the time
                and place and we will ensure that we are represented.

                I also believe Peter Twist directed you to add our group at
                Stoney Creek a couple years ago during a meeting in the officers
                tent.

                If there is any futher information you require I or one of our
                members would be please to meet with you in person at the next event.

                We look forward to your response.

                Regards

                Barry MacGregor

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Barry MacGregor wrote:

                  ". . . we have been at the officers meetings at both Stoney Creek
                  and Longwoods. If you have had meetings outside of those, please
                  advise us . . . "

                  Mr. MacGregor

                  To be listed on the CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA page,
                  a unit has to attend CROWN FORCES Events

                  Crown Forces events have been posted to
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                  since the first of the year.

                  I don't believe that Stoney Creek or Longwoods were CROWN FORCES
                  Events in 2007

                  We can talk of this further at Fort Erie next weekend.
                  I am sure the subscribers of this Yahoo Group are tired of our
                  conversation

                  Taken from http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  2007 Crown Forces Events

                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
                  Apr. 28 Crown Forces School of Instruction, Fort York, Toronto
                  Sat Apr.28 Infantry Officer & NCO School
                  Sat Apr.28 Historical Cooking Workshop

                  July 21-22 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Fort Niagara

                  Aug 11-12 Fort Erie

                  Sept 28-30 Fanshaw Village London, Ont

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                    Larry

                    Thank you for your invitation, we will be pleased to meet with you
                    and would welcome you in our camp for a cup of coffee.

                    Barry

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Larry
                      We were in attendance at the officers meetings at Fort Erie. Sorry
                      you were not able to join us for that cup of coffee we offered you.
                      I notice that the Crown Forces listed still needs to be updated for
                      both ourselves and the BID. Could you please attend to this at your
                      earliest convenience.

                      Barry

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "barrymacgregor"

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                        "barrymacgregor" wrote:

                        Larry We were in attendance at the officers meetings at Fort Erie.
                        Sorry you were not able to join us for that cup of coffee we offered
                        you. I notice that the Crown Forces listed still needs to be updated
                        for both ourselves and the BID. Could you please attend to this at
                        your earliest convenience.

                        Barry

                        Please contact me at larrylozon(at)yahoo.ca

                        Larry
                      • tedyeat
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                          I have been trying to get my name and contact info. removed from the
                          list of U.S. Units, and have it replaced by that of another person. I
                          sent an email to someone who I presume was the webmaster, but the
                          last time I checked it was still up. PLEASE CONTACT ME OFFLIST SO WE
                          CAN GET THIS RESOLVED.

                          YH&OS,
                          T. Yeatman

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                            "tedyeat" wrote:

                            I have been trying to get my name and contact info. removed from the
                            list of U.S. Units, and have it replaced by that of another person.
                            I sent an email to someone who I presume was the webmaster, but the
                            last time I checked it was still up. PLEASE CONTACT ME OFFLIST SO WE
                            CAN GET THIS RESOLVED.

                            Ted

                            I am the webmaster for Crown Forces North America Webpage
                            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                            For USA FORCES Webpage
                            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                            contact
                            Betsy Bashore bjbashore(at)buckeye-express.com
                            She is the web mistress for that webpage

                            At the bottom of http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                            It is posted:

                            To add your unit to the list, please contact
                            bjbashore(at)buckeye-express.com

                            Change (at) to @ since this Yahoo Group does not support email
                            adresses

                            Hope this helps
                            L2
                          • tedyeat
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 4, 2007
                              I sent her an email last week and never heard anything back. The old
                              contact is still up. John Sek was supposed to be changing the same
                              and, though he emailed that this was to be changed over the weekend,
                              it's the same situation. Someone tell Betsy she's got email.

                              YH&OS,
                              T. Yeatman

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 4, 2007
                                "tedyeat" < wrote:

                                I sent her an email last week and never heard anything back.

                                Ted

                                There was a holiday weekend and some events during that time

                                so she may have been away

                                Also, some people do not read their email every day

                                Some take weeks to respond

                                She does not get paid to maintain the website so speed may not be
                                an issue

                                On the other hand some units go for years with the wrong info
                                never informing the webpage of the correct info

                                Yrs.,
                                L2