“ the recreated units list" or "if your so perfect cast the first stone"

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1 11:55 AM
      "the recreated units list
      or
      "if your so perfect cast the first stone"

      Ladies, Gentlemen and Yahoo Group Subscribers All

      Some time ago after Jim Yaworsky created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group.

      I was asked what Military Units were represented on this WarOf1812
      Yahoo Group so I posted a list. I continued to do so until I
      railroaded Michael Mathews into maintaining the list.

      I was then asked to create
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      This web Site is a list of re-created Military Re-enactment Units of
      BRITISH ~ CANADIAN ~ MILITIA ~ ALLIED forces located in the United
      States and Canada and their contacts.

      This collection of re-created Military Re-enactment Units were given
      the convenient name of CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA {CFNA} to
      differentiate them from a similar group doing the American
      Revolutionary War Time Period.

      The Web Site
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      is updated as to units attending Crown Forces Events
      and it is the duty of the contact person to update the Unit's
      information on a yearly basis.

      As Jim has said "to keep you all on the same page"

      I take the liberty to add . . .

      Michael Mathews gets no remuneration (is not paid) for maintaining
      the Recreated Units List and does not deserve any negative postings
      as to his work on this list.

      He has the thankless job of updating a List of " Recreated Military
      Units that are represented on the Yahoo 1812 OneList" (and does a
      fine job I might add)

      It is just that . . . a list of 'Recreated Military Units' that are
      represented on this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group"

      If your Unit's main function is to portray Civilian Camp Life, etc.
      ... then you are not a Recreated Military Unit. Simple!

      Also . . .

      Mr. Mathews has the right to maintain this list Units as he sees fit
      as it is not an official WarOf1812 Yahoo Group list. It is merle a
      list which he is maintaining for the information to subscribers of
      this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group.

      It is the responsibility of the Unit Commander to contact Mr. Mathews
      and request that their unit be listed if it is a Recreated Military
      Unit.

      I comment on this as I started the 'Recreated Military Units that are
      represented on this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group List' for the reasons
      listed above.

      I did not remove or alter Jim Yaworsky's post (below) as I think we
      should all read it again.

      Yrs.,
      Larry Lozon (L2)
      Upper Canada (Ontario)

      United States Forces 1812 http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      Crown Forces North America 1812 http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      2007 WAR Of 1812 Events
      http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist Sutlers & Merchants
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

      --------------------------------

      "Michael Mathews" wrote:

      [snip] The list is exactly what it is; "Recreated Military Units that
      are represented on the Yahoo 1812 OneList". As such it is a sub-set
      of the greater whole for the information and interest of some. [snip]

      The two criteria for appearing on the list till now have been: Being
      on the Yahoo member rolls and someone taking the time to hit reply and
      say "Here's one more unit I'm in." [snip]
      ……………………….

      Jim Yaworsky wrote:

      Michael is exactly right on this.

      As Moderator, I've always been somewhat bemused by the existence of
      the list we are talking about here. It has no official status,
      confers no specific benefit to the units that are "on" it, and is
      really, it seems to me, not a heck of a lot of use for any practical
      purpose.

      One day, way back when, somebody posted an inquiry to the list if
      there was anybody on it who belonged to a certain unit. They had some
      reason, now long forgotten, for wanting to contact that unit (whether
      to find out uniform details, or ask if they were going to an event, or
      something like that...)

      Somebody got the idea of making up a Units list. The Events list
      already existed and was and is a very useful source of info. The
      Units list? It might predate the Crown Forces list, and maybe the
      unified American forces list, so might have had more relevance back
      when it was created.

      But really, if you have a reason to contact any given unit, you don't
      have to go and check to see if it's on "the units list". You can just
      post your query to the List, and presumably if someone from that unit
      is a member, they'll get back to you.

      Or, someone who *is* a member of the list will be able to assist you
      in making contact with the unit you are looking for, if none of its
      members are members of this group.

      For that matter, even if the unit *is* on "the list", there's no
      guarantee the unit even still exists. The fact the unit appears on
      the units' list simply means at some point in time, the unit existed,
      and one of its members *used* to be either a member of this group, or
      a member of the unit, but has since left one or the other. Or both.

      Getting confused yet?

      At the moment, "the Units List" is, I suppose, a sort of "one-stop"
      semi-official place you can go to see all the American and
      Anglo-Canadian units that are probably currently active. Maybe. But
      not guaranteed. So if you were looking for something definitive,
      your search would not be over!

      As far as I know, nobody bothers to inform Michael Matthews if a unit
      disbands or becomes inactive... so it might remain on "the list"...

      I guess it might be a pride thing to be on this list. Why, I'm not
      quite sure.

      Personally, my feeling is if anybody wants their "unit" to be on it,
      then why not? I suspect there are a few "units" on this list that in
      actuality consist of one or two people. Is that a "unit"? So a
      semi-civilian group that actually has a bunch of members and is
      actually turning out for stuff seems to have a good enough claim to be
      "on the list", to me.

      However, Michael's reasoning re: the title of this list - "Re-created
      *Military* units" also makes sense to me. I don't think Michael is
      trying to put down any group. There is no reason for anybody to be
      taking offense here.

      Frankly, this all seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot.

      Michael is in charge of the list. If you are not happy with one of
      his rulings, you can e-mail me off list, and I'll try and "moderate"
      the "issue". Michael will tell me to go to hell, and maybe, you'll
      then get an offer to be the next "official" keeper of "the list"! I
      know I won't be doing it! ;>)

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator
      ---------------
      Aug 11-12 Fort Erie
      Next Crown Forces Event
    • barrymacgregor
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1 3:28 PM
        Larry

        Thank you for you explanation of history of the list. I would
        suggest that you could use the updates recently posted here on the
        Crown forces listing. Specifically would you add ON GWE HO WAY
        native unit to the list as we have been participating in the battles
        for several years now.

        Thanks in advance for your help.

        Barry MacGreegor

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > actuality consist of one or two people. Is that a "unit"? So a
        > semi-civilian group that actually has a bunch of members and is
        > actually turning out for stuff seems to have a good enough claim to
        be
        > "on the list", to me.
        >
        > However, Michael's reasoning re: the title of this list - "Re-
        created
        > *Military* units" also makes sense to me. I don't think Michael is
        > trying to put down any group. There is no reason for anybody to be
        > taking offense here.
        >
        > Frankly, this all seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot.
        >
        > Michael is in charge of the list. If you are not happy with one of
        > his rulings, you can e-mail me off list, and I'll try and "moderate"
        > the "issue". Michael will tell me to go to hell, and maybe, you'll
        > then get an offer to be the next "official" keeper of "the list"! I

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1 5:15 PM
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:
          [snip]
          > I was asked what Military Units were represented on this WarOf1812
          > Yahoo Group so I posted a list. [snip]

          I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
          we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>)

          Jim Yaworsky
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1 6:38 PM
            "barrymacgregor" wrote:

            Larry

            Thank you for you explanation of history of the list. I would
            suggest that you could use the updates recently posted here on the
            Crown forces listing. Specifically would you add ON GWE HO WAY
            native unit to the list as we have been participating in the battles
            for several years now. Thanks in advance for your help.

            Mr. MacGreegor

            Attendance is usually taken at Officer's Call at Crown Forces Events
            I have not seen you or a rep from ON GWE HO WAY native unit at
            these meetings.

            Your unit has requested posting to http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            and that request has been passed on.

            Yrs.,
            L2
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1 6:44 PM
              "James Yaworsky" wrote:

              I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
              we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>

              Jim,
              I would normally take the blame

              but if you hadn't created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group

              I would have not created the 'the recreated units list'

              so . . . it's "JIM'S FAULT!!" ;-)

              Never take the blame when there is someone else you can hang it
              on!!:*)

              Yrs.,
              L2
            • James Yaworsky
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1 7:13 PM
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

                > "James Yaworsky" wrote:
                >
                > I do believe I see a *confession* here, ladies and gentlemen! So now
                > we know - like usual, it's all *Larry's* fault! ;>
                >

                > Jim,
                > I would normally take the blame
                >
                > but if you hadn't created this WarOf1812 Yahoo Group
                >
                > I would have not created the 'the recreated units list'
                >
                > so . . . it's "JIM'S FAULT!!" ;-)
                >

                > Never take the blame when there is someone else you can hang it
                > on!!:*)
                >

                > Yrs.,
                > L2

                OUCH! "Tou-shay", as the Frenchies say...

                Jim
              • barrymacgregor
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2 6:49 AM
                  Larry

                  Thank you for your promt resonse.

                  Memory is such a fleeting thing.... ;) , we have been at the
                  officers meetings at both Stoney Creek and Longwoods. If you have had
                  meetings outside of those, please advise us in the future of the time
                  and place and we will ensure that we are represented.

                  I also believe Peter Twist directed you to add our group at
                  Stoney Creek a couple years ago during a meeting in the officers
                  tent.

                  If there is any futher information you require I or one of our
                  members would be please to meet with you in person at the next event.

                  We look forward to your response.

                  Regards

                  Barry MacGregor

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2 10:30 AM
                    Barry MacGregor wrote:

                    ". . . we have been at the officers meetings at both Stoney Creek
                    and Longwoods. If you have had meetings outside of those, please
                    advise us . . . "

                    Mr. MacGregor

                    To be listed on the CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA page,
                    a unit has to attend CROWN FORCES Events

                    Crown Forces events have been posted to
                    http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                    since the first of the year.

                    I don't believe that Stoney Creek or Longwoods were CROWN FORCES
                    Events in 2007

                    We can talk of this further at Fort Erie next weekend.
                    I am sure the subscribers of this Yahoo Group are tired of our
                    conversation

                    Taken from http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                    2007 Crown Forces Events

                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
                    Apr. 28 Crown Forces School of Instruction, Fort York, Toronto
                    Sat Apr.28 Infantry Officer & NCO School
                    Sat Apr.28 Historical Cooking Workshop

                    July 21-22 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical Fort Niagara

                    Aug 11-12 Fort Erie

                    Sept 28-30 Fanshaw Village London, Ont

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2 12:16 PM
                      Larry

                      Thank you for your invitation, we will be pleased to meet with you
                      and would welcome you in our camp for a cup of coffee.

                      Barry

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 31 8:18 AM
                        Larry
                        We were in attendance at the officers meetings at Fort Erie. Sorry
                        you were not able to join us for that cup of coffee we offered you.
                        I notice that the Crown Forces listed still needs to be updated for
                        both ourselves and the BID. Could you please attend to this at your
                        earliest convenience.

                        Barry

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "barrymacgregor"

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 31 10:38 AM
                          "barrymacgregor" wrote:

                          Larry We were in attendance at the officers meetings at Fort Erie.
                          Sorry you were not able to join us for that cup of coffee we offered
                          you. I notice that the Crown Forces listed still needs to be updated
                          for both ourselves and the BID. Could you please attend to this at
                          your earliest convenience.

                          Barry

                          Please contact me at larrylozon(at)yahoo.ca

                          Larry
                        • tedyeat
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                            I have been trying to get my name and contact info. removed from the
                            list of U.S. Units, and have it replaced by that of another person. I
                            sent an email to someone who I presume was the webmaster, but the
                            last time I checked it was still up. PLEASE CONTACT ME OFFLIST SO WE
                            CAN GET THIS RESOLVED.

                            YH&OS,
                            T. Yeatman

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                              "tedyeat" wrote:

                              I have been trying to get my name and contact info. removed from the
                              list of U.S. Units, and have it replaced by that of another person.
                              I sent an email to someone who I presume was the webmaster, but the
                              last time I checked it was still up. PLEASE CONTACT ME OFFLIST SO WE
                              CAN GET THIS RESOLVED.

                              Ted

                              I am the webmaster for Crown Forces North America Webpage
                              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                              For USA FORCES Webpage
                              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                              contact
                              Betsy Bashore bjbashore(at)buckeye-express.com
                              She is the web mistress for that webpage

                              At the bottom of http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                              It is posted:

                              To add your unit to the list, please contact
                              bjbashore(at)buckeye-express.com

                              Change (at) to @ since this Yahoo Group does not support email
                              adresses

                              Hope this helps
                              L2
                            • tedyeat
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 4, 2007
                                I sent her an email last week and never heard anything back. The old
                                contact is still up. John Sek was supposed to be changing the same
                                and, though he emailed that this was to be changed over the weekend,
                                it's the same situation. Someone tell Betsy she's got email.

                                YH&OS,
                                T. Yeatman

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 4, 2007
                                  "tedyeat" < wrote:

                                  I sent her an email last week and never heard anything back.

                                  Ted

                                  There was a holiday weekend and some events during that time

                                  so she may have been away

                                  Also, some people do not read their email every day

                                  Some take weeks to respond

                                  She does not get paid to maintain the website so speed may not be
                                  an issue

                                  On the other hand some units go for years with the wrong info
                                  never informing the webpage of the correct info

                                  Yrs.,
                                  L2