Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Battlefield with No Respect

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      In a message dated 7/31/2007 10:22:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sgtwarner@... writes:

      What's left of the original field is a strip along the
      > Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
      > Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
      > this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
      > politicians and political cronies run the show.
      > There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
      > One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
      > Bladensburg Historical Society.

      I think that strip of land is undeveloped only because it is flood plain.
      BTW, the house is Bostwick. (It was built in the 18th century. SecNav
      Benjamin Stoddert was one of the residents.)

      Ann Wass

    • Len Heidebrecht
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        Calm Kevin, calm,

        Speaking of which, I had the pleasure visiting the Lundy's Lane Museum
        last month while Kevin was swanning about Nova Scotia or some such
        place (nor has he replied to me even though I left my card.)

        Kevin, I think you have every right to be proud of your site, nice,
        neat, professional and well laid out exhibits. OK the native exhibit is
        very 'Niagara Falls' but I'm sure it's in the budget there sometime. :^)

        Where all of the buttons (and that tail from the 89th jacket) all
        recovered on site or from the Nigara Falls area? I was particularlly
        interested in the single lonely Kings button which appeared to be a Rev
        War style. Any idea where that came from?

        If anyone is in the area I heartily recommend them popping in. Nice
        museum-shop as well!

        Cheers,

        Len

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          In a message dated 31/07/2007 19:40:22 Central Standard Time,
          tedyeat@... writes:

          Does anyone know what
          became of flags captured there?

          I think I am right in saying that many of them ended up in the Royal
          Hospital, Chelsea.

        • tedyeat
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            Which ones, I wonder? They must have had plenty to gather.
            YH&OS
            T. Yeatman