Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Some items of interest.

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
      Thank you Bob, Ed and Kevin for your comments . I was only wondering! I
      guess it is always easiest to transform indecisive stalemates in to
      victories, but it was the word ultimate that caught my attention.
      Incidentally both the British and French histories of the Peninsula War
      claim La Corunna as victories. it is even included on the Arc de Triomphe!

      As a War the 1812 conflict seems to have had no ultimate winner, only a
      loser in the Native peoples?

      On one occasion I had the pleasure of explaining the British "version"
      of the Bunker Hill to a NPS guided tour!

      Cheers now

      P**

    • annbwass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        In a message dated 7/31/2007 10:22:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sgtwarner@... writes:

        What's left of the original field is a strip along the
        > Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
        > Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
        > this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
        > politicians and political cronies run the show.
        > There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
        > One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
        > Bladensburg Historical Society.

        I think that strip of land is undeveloped only because it is flood plain.
        BTW, the house is Bostwick. (It was built in the 18th century. SecNav
        Benjamin Stoddert was one of the residents.)

        Ann Wass

      • Len Heidebrecht
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          Calm Kevin, calm,

          Speaking of which, I had the pleasure visiting the Lundy's Lane Museum
          last month while Kevin was swanning about Nova Scotia or some such
          place (nor has he replied to me even though I left my card.)

          Kevin, I think you have every right to be proud of your site, nice,
          neat, professional and well laid out exhibits. OK the native exhibit is
          very 'Niagara Falls' but I'm sure it's in the budget there sometime. :^)

          Where all of the buttons (and that tail from the 89th jacket) all
          recovered on site or from the Nigara Falls area? I was particularlly
          interested in the single lonely Kings button which appeared to be a Rev
          War style. Any idea where that came from?

          If anyone is in the area I heartily recommend them popping in. Nice
          museum-shop as well!

          Cheers,

          Len

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            In a message dated 31/07/2007 19:40:22 Central Standard Time,
            tedyeat@... writes:

            Does anyone know what
            became of flags captured there?

            I think I am right in saying that many of them ended up in the Royal
            Hospital, Chelsea.

          • tedyeat
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
              Which ones, I wonder? They must have had plenty to gather.
              YH&OS
              T. Yeatman