Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Some items of interest.

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
      Peter & Jim,

      I believe that it has much more to do with a poem written by a US
      citizen on a British ship, than a long range bombardment.

      Bob Dorian
      Independence, MO USA
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
        Thank you Bob, Ed and Kevin for your comments . I was only wondering! I
        guess it is always easiest to transform indecisive stalemates in to
        victories, but it was the word ultimate that caught my attention.
        Incidentally both the British and French histories of the Peninsula War
        claim La Corunna as victories. it is even included on the Arc de Triomphe!

        As a War the 1812 conflict seems to have had no ultimate winner, only a
        loser in the Native peoples?

        On one occasion I had the pleasure of explaining the British "version"
        of the Bunker Hill to a NPS guided tour!

        Cheers now

        P**

      • annbwass@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
          In a message dated 7/31/2007 10:22:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          sgtwarner@... writes:

          What's left of the original field is a strip along the
          > Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
          > Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
          > this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
          > politicians and political cronies run the show.
          > There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
          > One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
          > Bladensburg Historical Society.

          I think that strip of land is undeveloped only because it is flood plain.
          BTW, the house is Bostwick. (It was built in the 18th century. SecNav
          Benjamin Stoddert was one of the residents.)

          Ann Wass

        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
            Calm Kevin, calm,

            Speaking of which, I had the pleasure visiting the Lundy's Lane Museum
            last month while Kevin was swanning about Nova Scotia or some such
            place (nor has he replied to me even though I left my card.)

            Kevin, I think you have every right to be proud of your site, nice,
            neat, professional and well laid out exhibits. OK the native exhibit is
            very 'Niagara Falls' but I'm sure it's in the budget there sometime. :^)

            Where all of the buttons (and that tail from the 89th jacket) all
            recovered on site or from the Nigara Falls area? I was particularlly
            interested in the single lonely Kings button which appeared to be a Rev
            War style. Any idea where that came from?

            If anyone is in the area I heartily recommend them popping in. Nice
            museum-shop as well!

            Cheers,

            Len

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
              In a message dated 31/07/2007 19:40:22 Central Standard Time,
              tedyeat@... writes:

              Does anyone know what
              became of flags captured there?

              I think I am right in saying that many of them ended up in the Royal
              Hospital, Chelsea.

            • tedyeat
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                Which ones, I wonder? They must have had plenty to gather.
                YH&OS
                T. Yeatman