Some items of interest.

  • jboissonneau
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
        * "The ultimate victory of the Americans at Fort McHenry on
        September 14, 1814"

        Poetic license? historic inaccuracy? or just a NPS slant on history?

        Cheers

        P**
        **

        jboissonneau wrote:

        > http://www.nps.gov/phso/jstarspan/ <http://www.nps.gov/phso/jstarspan/>
        > http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-
        > <http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal->
        > md.trail24jul24,0,2867482.story

      • James Yaworsky
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Catley <peter.catley@...> wrote:

          > * "The ultimate victory of the Americans at Fort McHenry on
          > September 14, 1814"
          >
          > Poetic license? historic inaccuracy? or just a NPS slant on history?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > P**

          Peter, I suspect somehow that "Visit Fort McHenry - scene of a rather
          lack-luster and ineffective long-distance naval bombardment" just
          wouldn't cut it, in terms of attracting tourists... ;>)

          Jim Yaworsky
          41st
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
            Ah well Jim the truth always hurts!

            Cheers

            P**

            James Yaworsky wrote:

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Peter Catley <peter.catley@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > * "The ultimate victory of the Americans at Fort McHenry on
            > > September 14, 1814"
            > >
            > > Poetic license? historic inaccuracy? or just a NPS slant on history?
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > P**
            >
            > Peter, I suspect somehow that "Visit Fort McHenry - scene of a rather
            > lack-luster and ineffective long-distance naval bombardment" just
            > wouldn't cut it, in terms of attracting tourists... ;>)
            >
            > Jim Yaworsky
            > 41st

          • LCpl_rm
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
              Peter,

              Unfortunately, as Jim has pointed out, its the NPS slant on history.

              Prior to the "Star Spangled Banner" becoming our National Anthem, the emphasis on the defense of Baltimore was always on the Battle of North Point. Until the 1990's, the state of Maryland celebrated Defenders Day which was Sept 12 in honour of that battle. Urban sprawl has overrun the battlefield, though last year, the state managed to purchase 9 acres of open ground which research is proving to have been the position of part of the American line. Whereas, Ft McHenry is perfectly preserved (as a Civil War fort BTW), has open ground, beautiful site lines and is honoured as the birthplace of the National Anthem. Bricks and Mortar wins!

              We've had to fight hard to get North Point included in the final trail route.

              Cheers,

              Ed Seufert, Cpl
              1812 Royal Marines
              > * "The ultimate victory of the Americans at Fort McHenry on
              > September 14, 1814"
              >
              > Poetic license? historic inaccuracy? or just a NPS slant on history?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > P**

              Peter, I suspect somehow that "Visit Fort McHenry - scene of a rather
              lack-luster and ineffective long-distance naval bombardment" just
              wouldn't cut it, in terms of attracting tourists... ;>)

              Jim Yaworsky
              41st

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
                However, all of this being said, "The ultimate victory of the Americans" is
                a true statement!

                Just as the Canadians "won" at Lundy's Lane because the US INF left.

                In Cdn history Lundy's Lane is a celebrated victory where we pushed back the
                advancing American mob and saved Canada from the evils of republicanism, and
                in US history McHenry is where the Young republic was saved from the yoke of
                despotic tyranny and stopped the advancing horde of red coated automatons
                from raping and looting!

                So you see slanted is as slanted does! Every battle is the most important,
                every fort is the most significant, and every campaign saved the country
                from annihilation or conquest. It's all about pride in their battlefield.

                The truth be told mine is THE most vicious, THE bloodiest, THE one that
                saved Canada from republicanism and the one celebrated in BOTH countries
                history books!!

                Lick it, stick it, double stamped it no erases!! ;^)

                Kevin

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
                  As Ed Points out, only about 9-10 acres remain of the field at North
                  Point. Bladensburg, however, is a battle that a lot of folks want to
                  forget. What's left of the original field is a strip along the
                  Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
                  Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
                  this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
                  politicians and political cronies run the show.
                  There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
                  One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
                  Bladensburg Historical Society. It's vacant now and someone told me
                  that it was taken off a tour because someone put their foot through
                  the floor the last time the public was let in. Does anyone know what
                  became of flags captured there?

                  YH&OS
                  T. Yeatman

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                  <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                  > However, all of this being said, "The ultimate victory of the
                  Americans" is
                  > a true statement!
                  >
                  > Just as the Canadians "won" at Lundy's Lane because the US INF
                  left.

                  > In Cdn history Lundy's Lane is a celebrated victory where we pushed
                  back the
                  > advancing American mob and saved Canada from the evils of
                  republicanism, and
                  > in US history McHenry is where the Young republic was saved from
                  the yoke of
                  > despotic tyranny and stopped the advancing horde of red coated
                  automatons
                  > from raping and looting!
                  >

                  > So you see slanted is as slanted does! Every battle is the most
                  important,
                  > every fort is the most significant, and every campaign saved the
                  country
                  > from annihilation or conquest. It's all about pride in their
                  battlefield.

                  > The truth be told mine is THE most vicious, THE bloodiest, THE one
                  that
                  > saved Canada from republicanism and the one celebrated in BOTH
                  countries
                  > history books!!
                  >
                  > Lick it, stick it, double stamped it no erases!! ;^)
                  >

                  > Kevin
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                  On Behalf
                  > Of LCpl_rm
                  >

                  > Peter,
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, as Jim has pointed out, its the NPS slant on history.
                  >
                  > Prior to the "Star Spangled Banner" becoming our National Anthem,
                  the
                  > emphasis on the defense of Baltimore was always on the Battle of
                  North
                  > Point. Until the 1990's, the state of Maryland celebrated Defenders
                  Day
                  > which was Sept 12 in honour of that battle. Urban sprawl has
                  overrun the
                  > battlefield, though last year, the state managed to purchase 9
                  acres of open
                  > ground which research is proving to have been the position of part
                  of the
                  > American line. Whereas, Ft McHenry is perfectly preserved (as a
                  Civil War
                  > fort BTW), has open ground, beautiful site lines and is honoured as
                  the
                  > birthplace of the National Anthem. Bricks and Mortar wins!
                  >
                  > We've had to fight hard to get North Point included in the final
                  trail
                  > route.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                  > 1812 Royal Marines

                • Craig Williams
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
                    Two of the colours captured are currently held in the Museum of the
                    Shropshire Light Infantry in
                    Shrewsbury.
                    The colour of the Harford light dragoons and the colour of the James
                    City Light Infantry.

                    Craig Williams

                  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 31, 2007
                      Peter & Jim,

                      I believe that it has much more to do with a poem written by a US
                      citizen on a British ship, than a long range bombardment.

                      Bob Dorian
                      Independence, MO USA
                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Thank you Bob, Ed and Kevin for your comments . I was only wondering! I
                        guess it is always easiest to transform indecisive stalemates in to
                        victories, but it was the word ultimate that caught my attention.
                        Incidentally both the British and French histories of the Peninsula War
                        claim La Corunna as victories. it is even included on the Arc de Triomphe!

                        As a War the 1812 conflict seems to have had no ultimate winner, only a
                        loser in the Native peoples?

                        On one occasion I had the pleasure of explaining the British "version"
                        of the Bunker Hill to a NPS guided tour!

                        Cheers now

                        P**

                      • annbwass@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                          In a message dated 7/31/2007 10:22:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          sgtwarner@... writes:

                          What's left of the original field is a strip along the
                          > Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
                          > Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
                          > this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
                          > politicians and political cronies run the show.
                          > There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
                          > One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
                          > Bladensburg Historical Society.

                          I think that strip of land is undeveloped only because it is flood plain.
                          BTW, the house is Bostwick. (It was built in the 18th century. SecNav
                          Benjamin Stoddert was one of the residents.)

                          Ann Wass

                        • Len Heidebrecht
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                            Calm Kevin, calm,

                            Speaking of which, I had the pleasure visiting the Lundy's Lane Museum
                            last month while Kevin was swanning about Nova Scotia or some such
                            place (nor has he replied to me even though I left my card.)

                            Kevin, I think you have every right to be proud of your site, nice,
                            neat, professional and well laid out exhibits. OK the native exhibit is
                            very 'Niagara Falls' but I'm sure it's in the budget there sometime. :^)

                            Where all of the buttons (and that tail from the 89th jacket) all
                            recovered on site or from the Nigara Falls area? I was particularlly
                            interested in the single lonely Kings button which appeared to be a Rev
                            War style. Any idea where that came from?

                            If anyone is in the area I heartily recommend them popping in. Nice
                            museum-shop as well!

                            Cheers,

                            Len

                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                              In a message dated 31/07/2007 19:40:22 Central Standard Time,
                              tedyeat@... writes:

                              Does anyone know what
                              became of flags captured there?

                              I think I am right in saying that many of them ended up in the Royal
                              Hospital, Chelsea.

                            • tedyeat
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1, 2007
                                Which ones, I wonder? They must have had plenty to gather.
                                YH&OS
                                T. Yeatman