Re: [War Of 1812] Accessing the OSHA web site. maze.

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
      J-P,

      I too share your annoyance at the number of messages on this topic
      across the various websites.

      However, it finally got my attention and caused me to delve deeper
      into the matter. If the new regulations (and power grab by OSHA) do
      discourage shippers and transportation from delivering black powder to
      distributors (and across the border), reenacting in Canada will be hit
      hard.

      Currently, there are only TWO GOEX black powder distributors in Canada
      (British Columbia and Ontario). Presumably, they handle GOEX black
      powder because there is no Canadian manufacturing source. If they can
      no longer get deliveries into Canada, effectively cannons and muskets
      will be rendered unusable without our government having to rescind any
      ministerial orders.

      We can at least make our governments aware of the number of
      reenactments that will no longer occur and the number of reenactors
      and tourists from the United States that will no longer visit.

      This is one case where ignoring the big elephant might just get the
      little mouse badly squashed.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
        Gordon,
        Thanks for your comments. I think you are right in getting with
        folks on your side of the border to make them aware of the situation.
        Below is something I copied that indicates that the OSHA comment
        system went down. It also illustrates how event a govt. contractor
        here wasn't aware of what was coming down. The NRA has clut on this
        side of the border and combined with some folks from Canada, maybe we
        can do something. The 60 day extension for comment would allow you
        folks to get with whoever you need to. Meanwhile, we'll make things
        lively here. My guess is that the folks in the defense industry are
        already calling their lobbyists on K St.. This is sort of like the
        executive Dept. regs tthat went through about passports. You are
        aware how that's going down on both sides of the border. In this case
        we may be able to head something off instead of shut the barn door
        after the horses have escaped.

        YH&OS
        T. Yeatman
        Fell's Point Rifles
        -----------------------------
        Just got off the phone with NRA-ILA, yes they were informed the email
        comment system was broken!
        But on better news, ILA did speak to OSHA today, and they are
        considering extending the comment period another 60 days.
        This is NOT a sure thing, as they are just CONSIDERING doing so.
        Keep the pressure up, conract all your Congress Critters, NOW!

        In other news, even powder makers were caught flat footed on this.
        ATK, the people to make the Alliant Powder line, just found out about
        the proposed new regulations yesterday!
        ATK is a major smokeless powder producer for DOD, and I wonder what
        the DOD thinks about all this!
        This keeps getting more interesting all the time!
        Gregg

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>