Re: [War Of 1812] William Mc Kay - Looking for Information

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hi Dave,

      I have now been through just about everything I have on Fort St. Joseph and took a cruise through the RG 8 Military C series volumes that cover the June-July 1812 period and while I re-read the various despatches of Brock, Prevost and Roberts, the only clear thing is that William McKay carried the original message to Roberts from Prevost informing him of the declaration of war via the Ottawa River route.? There is no indication of how Brock's messages were sent although there seems to have been a good?maritime service maintained between Lake Erie and Fort St Joseph until the Battle of Lake Erie.? Supplies were arriving and being sent to and from Amherstburg and Niagara by ship throughout 1812 and there is no reason to assume that Brock's letters did not take this route.?

      After the autumn of 1813, the Lake Erie route would no longer have been viable and this is when the Toronto to Lake Simcoe etc route would have become more viable for communications.? The Ottawa River route remained active, particularly for shipments of goods and supplies.

      I hope that this helps.

      Ron

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
        Dear Ron,

        This helps greatly!! Thanks for you research it is greatly appreciated!

        Dave Brunelle

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2007
          Hi Dave,

          I was looking through?the John Askin?papers?this weekend and hit an interesting reference to the York portage route that you might or might not already have:

          John Askin Jr to Charles Askin , St. Joseph's,? Aug 11, 1811:

          "As Messrs Gilivray, Gregory & McKay leave this for Montreal tomorrow via York for the purpose of making some arrangements respecting the portage they mean to establish from Youngs Street to Matchedash Bay I avail myself of their Conveyance to write you these few lines....? Should the NW Gentlemen establish the road as is proposed from York to Matchedash it will be the making of that Country...."

          This note was delivered to his brother Charles in Queenston 16 days later.?? Dispatches from Niagara to St Joseph via the Provincial Marine took about half as long.?

          Ron

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24, 2007
            Thanks Ron!

            Much appreciated!