Re: [1812_ProgressiveCampaigner] OSHA REGS. Could Effect Powder Supply

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist over this, perhaps we should actually read the proposed changes. I'm still poring over the document (and it is fairly hefty) but the 2nd page of text includes a statement that the proposed changes were brought forward in a petition from the INDUSTRY not government. The Institute of Makers of Explosives (IME) and the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) are both named as petitioners and I can't see them requesting changes that cut their own throats.

      I am involved in the Health and Safety programmes at my company and, if there's one thing I've learned, industries rarely request changes to a code unless it is in their own best interests. With all due respect to the venerable NRA, I won't jump on a bandwagon that isn't pulled by the industry's horse.

      But, I'll keep reading the 55+ pages to see what all the fuss is about...

      J-P

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
        Please read the below release.Note the Comments about SAAMI. The OSHA
        folks are a bit off if what they have makes it sound like they are in
        agreement. This is off the NSFF web site -National Shooting Sports
        Federation- which is working WITH SAAMI. Draw your own conclusions.
        Canadians, ignore this. If the regs go through you can sell up powder
        on the sly as you're already doing with medicine. We might even have
        to go to Canada just to reenact.

        ------------------------------
        Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens
        Firearm and Ammunition Industry

        The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the
        government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of
        America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the
        manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition,
        primers and smokeless propellants.

        As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all
        ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition
        to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing
        our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with
        the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including
        manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive
        and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless
        propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a
        factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be
        allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise
        stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

        NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA
        officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major
        problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms
        and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking
        a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled
        to expire July 12).

        NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a
        60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should
        inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant
        regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section
        3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way"
        the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry,
        productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance
        cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million
        dollars.

        Click here for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own
        letter, the reference line must read as follows:

        RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
        Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for
        Hearing on
        "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order
        12866

        Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and
        Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference
        section of your letter).

        Please e-mail the letter by visiting: http://www.regulations.gov and
        following the submission instructions.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...>
        wrote:

        > Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist over this, perhaps
        we should actually read the proposed changes. I'm still poring over
        the document (and it is fairly hefty) but the 2nd page of text
        includes a statement that the proposed changes were brought forward
        in a petition from the INDUSTRY not government. The Institute of
        Makers of Explosives (IME) and the Sporting Arms and Ammunition
        Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) are both named as petitioners and I
        can't see them requesting changes that cut their own throats.

        > I am involved in the Health and Safety programmes at my company
        and, if there's one thing I've learned, industries rarely request
        changes to a code unless it is in their own best interests. With all
        due respect to the venerable NRA, I won't jump on a bandwagon that
        isn't pulled by the industry's horse.

        > But, I'll keep reading the 55+ pages to see what all the fuss is
        about...

        > J-P

        Powder Supply