Re: Augustus Warburton: details, details, details

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
      The Royal Military Calendar, 3rd edition, 1820, volume 4, page 370
      says that as of that date, Warburton stood #1053 in seniority in the
      British army. It gives a run-down of his career, that jives in some
      respects with Tom's posting earlier today, but I've inserted more
      detail and noted some inconsistencies.

      The Royal Military Calendar is an interesting read. The details
      provided for each entry, other than the bare-bones dates of
      promotions, can vary terrifically in their length. The entry for
      Pearson, for example, goes on for several pages. All the entry for
      Warburton provides by way of general comments is that "in 1813 he
      served as an Inspecting Field Officer of Militia in Canada"... which
      is true, but omits his services in 1811 and 1812 in this capacity...

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier" <tom4141fournier@...>
      wrote:

      > He was originally commissioned in the 4th Foot.
      JY: date of commission 28 August 1799;
      Lieutenant 4th Foot as of 27 February 1800

      > He was a captain in the 60th Foot
      JY: as of December 12, 1801.

      before being appointed to a brevet
      > rank of lieutenant colonel and inspecting field officer of the Lower
      > Canada Militia in 1811.

      JY: The Calendar says he transferred as a Captain to the 57th Foot on
      25 May 1803, then became a Major in the 91st as of 18 December 1806.
      Brevet Lt. Col. as of Auust 1, 1811.

      > He was assigned to Upper Canada to replace the incapacitated St.
      > George who was wounded at Frenchtown.
      >
      > He arrived in early 1813 to serve as Procter's second in command.
      >
      > Originally he was not a member of the 41st. He led the second column
      > for the attack on Fort Stephenson. Entered the 41st as a Lieutenant-
      > Colonel on 30/09/1813.

      JY: the Calendar does not record his posting to the 41st at all -
      obviously, an error of omission on its part!

      > He may not have known that he was gazetted Lieutenant-Colonel until
      > after Moraviantown.
      >
      > He was in command of the 1st line of defense at Moraviantown where
      > he was captured.
      >
      > He was held at Frankfort Kentucky. He went on 1/2 pay with the
      > amalgamation of the 2 battalions of the 41st. He returned to full
      > pay in 1825 with the 85th Foot where he was lieutenant colonel until
      > his death in 1837.

      JY: the Calendar says he was gazetted as Lt. Col of the 85th on 30
      September 1819, and that's his rank as of the date of its
      publication. We also know that he was serving with the 85th on Malta
      in 1824, from the court martials of the two artillery officers that
      year for refusing to obey direct orders to give a gun salute to a
      "Popish" ceremony.

      In trying to determine what actual experience of campaigning that
      Warburton might have brought to the table in the War of 1812, it would
      appear that we should primarily be examining the movements of the 91st
      from late 1806 to early 1811.

      A quick check shows the 91st was in the Corunna campaign, then in the
      1809 Walcheren campaign. Most Regiments in Walcheren suffered severely
      from a "fever" and took quite a while to rebuild themselves. The 91st
      was only sent back to the Peninsula in 1812, by which time Warburton
      was already in the Canadas.

      So, Warburton could have had his health affected in the nightmare
      retreat to Corunna, or he could have caught Walcheren fever. It seems
      likely his posting as an IFO was for health reasons. The IFO's were
      supposedly all "deserving" officers who had these sorts of problems.

      Evidently, he eventually recovered to the point where active service
      again became possible. Certainly this was the case by the time he was
      put in command of the 85th, which went out on foreign service under him.

      Whether his health was only restored after the Napoleonic Wars, or
      earlier, in time for the 1813 campaign in Upper Canada, remains to be
      determined.

      He could have been shipped to Upper Canada in 1813, despite health
      problems, because the need for general officers was so severe. This
      might also be an explanation for his lack-luster acquiescence in
      Proctor's antics, his over-all lack of initiative in the Retreat, and
      even his rather flat testimony at the court martial.

      A quick look at 34 screens of google hits on Warburton didn't produce
      any personal information on him - like, his marital status, offspring,
      etc. But it is a fascinating game to play!

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st