William Mc Kay - Looking for Information

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
      Dear List,

      I am looking for information on William Mc Kay who was a officer in the British Indian Department and was the man given the task of informing Fort St. Joseph that the United States had declared war against Britain (Canada) as ordered by General Brock. WIlliam Mc Kay left Montreal by canoe and arrived at Fort St. Joseph after only eight days of travelling.
      What I am trying to find out is documentation of the route he took to get to Fort St. Joseph neat Sault Saint Marie, Ontairo. If anyone can shed some light and documentation on his offical route please let me know!

      Thanks!!

      Dave Brunelle

    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
        Hi Dave,

        It will be a week before I can dig out more on this but McKay was in Montreal at the time that word of the War's declaration reached that Town.  A dispatch was sent to Prevost, then in Quebec, meaning that Prevost learned of the declaration from the Northwest Company, who had been informed by John Jacob Astor's agents, prior to receiving official word.  Prevost, though Colonel Baynes sent a message to Brock on June 25th and in that says "Mr Richardson informs his excellency that it is the intention of the (Northwest) Company to send six large canoes to receive their furs by the Grand River (Ottawa River) and...they will be able to carry six soldiers in each boat."  Prevost turned down the offer to take troops to Fort St Joseph but did send a letter to Captain Roberts.  McKay was in this flotilla, from what I understand.

        Brock had learned of the War just before Prevost's letter arrived , Brock having learned through "mercantile" channels on June 26--again agents of Astor.  Brock send a subsequent note to Roberts on  to the effect that the best defence would be to enlist the aid of Aboriginal people and the fur traders and consider attacking Michilimackinac.   However, in a second dispatch he urged caution. On July 3, he penned another going back to the idea of attack. Prevost did not want to be seen as the aggressor.  The War was unpopular in the US and the feeling was that a British attach on US soil might unite the American's in indignant opposition.  Hull's invasion justified Robert's initiative and Brock's orders.  Prevost commented in a later letter that it was a good thing that Hull had invaded or Roberts would have exceeded his orders.

        What route did Brock's dispatches take?  Roberts receive his dispatches on July 15.  Brock was in York when the first message was sent.  Did it take the route of the Toronto Carrying place?  By schooner to Burlington Heights overland to the Grand, and by schooner from Lake Erie to Fort St Joe?   I will have to get back into my Fort St Joseph files to check but I believe it was the latter route--by boat from Lake Erie.

        The one thing is clear, however, and that is that the route from Montreal was the Ottawa-French River route as suggested in Prevost's original message to Brock.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
          Thanks Ron! If you come up with anymore information please let me know!

          Dave Brunelle

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            I have some pretty thick Ft St Joe files in my office but will not be back to my office until Thursday or Friday.  I will look then to see what I can find.

            Roberts final orders from Brock were sent by Brock from Fort George on July 4 and received by Roberts at Fort St. Joseph on July 15.  Roberts embarked his forces on the following morning and made his report on the capture of Michilimackinac on July 17th. It has been at least 16 years since I read much on Fort St. Joseph but in the back of my mind is that Brock's orders came on the NW Company Brig "Caledonia," which Roberts pressed into service in his attack on Mackinac.

            I will see what else I can dig up.   It seems to me that Colonel Landmann left a very good description of his trip to the fort via the Ottawa and French rivers.  This was, of course, several years before the war.

            Ron

          • DAVID BRUNELLE
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
              Thanks again Ron!

              Dave Brunelle

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                Hi Dave,

                I have now been through just about everything I have on Fort St. Joseph and took a cruise through the RG 8 Military C series volumes that cover the June-July 1812 period and while I re-read the various despatches of Brock, Prevost and Roberts, the only clear thing is that William McKay carried the original message to Roberts from Prevost informing him of the declaration of war via the Ottawa River route.? There is no indication of how Brock's messages were sent although there seems to have been a good?maritime service maintained between Lake Erie and Fort St Joseph until the Battle of Lake Erie.? Supplies were arriving and being sent to and from Amherstburg and Niagara by ship throughout 1812 and there is no reason to assume that Brock's letters did not take this route.?

                After the autumn of 1813, the Lake Erie route would no longer have been viable and this is when the Toronto to Lake Simcoe etc route would have become more viable for communications.? The Ottawa River route remained active, particularly for shipments of goods and supplies.

                I hope that this helps.

                Ron

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                  Dear Ron,

                  This helps greatly!! Thanks for you research it is greatly appreciated!

                  Dave Brunelle

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 24, 2007
                    Hi Dave,

                    I was looking through?the John Askin?papers?this weekend and hit an interesting reference to the York portage route that you might or might not already have:

                    John Askin Jr to Charles Askin , St. Joseph's,? Aug 11, 1811:

                    "As Messrs Gilivray, Gregory & McKay leave this for Montreal tomorrow via York for the purpose of making some arrangements respecting the portage they mean to establish from Youngs Street to Matchedash Bay I avail myself of their Conveyance to write you these few lines....? Should the NW Gentlemen establish the road as is proposed from York to Matchedash it will be the making of that Country...."

                    This note was delivered to his brother Charles in Queenston 16 days later.?? Dispatches from Niagara to St Joseph via the Provincial Marine took about half as long.?

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 24, 2007
                      Thanks Ron!

                      Much appreciated!