bridges on the Thames - at Chatham

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 1999
      From: Jim Yaworsky <yawors1@...>

      1) I believe the road crossed from the south bank of the river to the north bank somewhere in the vicinity of Chatham. I believe the road was still following the south bank when it crossed Macgregor's Creek by a bridge, famous as being the location where Tecumseh tried to slow up Harrison's advance with a rear-guard action. I believe the River had to be crossed by some sort of ferry arrangement not too far upstream. Harrison's army definitely forded the river somewhere not too far upstream of Chatham - presumably, the ford where the road crossed?

      James & List:

      There is documentation that Dolsen owned a boat and carried on a ferry service about 5 miles west of Chatham, as well as travelling to Sandwich and Detroit by boat for supplies which he sold at his store, mill and tavern. There was a bridge over MacGregor's Creek near the modern centre of Chatham at Tecumseh Park, but there was no bridge over the Thames in this area. If you travel east to near Thamesville you can walk across the river where the locals fish they call it the rapids. The river is only navigable to this point by boat. In the spring you can paddle a canoe or small row boat past this point but not in the fall. This is the point they think Harrison crossed and where the Brits burned their boats, as they find cannon balls and stuff there as well as a boat that they made keys to the city out of, claiming it was from the War of 1812.