Re: the costs of the hobby

  • philgarringer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2007
      I had my wife's permission, but I don't think she knew what I was
      getting into! Imagine her surprise when she found out that there
      was a difference between a flintlock rifle, and a flintlock
      smoothbore, and that I HAD to have both of them!

      Also, it really starts to add up when you are doing more than one
      time period!

      It sure as hell beats golfing, though, n'cest pas?

      Phil G.
      Forsyth's Rifles
      Ogdensburg, NY

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <larrylozon@...>
      wrote:

      > Re: the costs of the hobby
      >
      > Peter Monahan wrote:
      >
      > Can we PLEASE not flog this particular dead horse any deader? Been
      > there, done that, got the (really cheap cotton) T-shirt too!
      >

      > Mr. Monahan
      >
      > We rehash uniforms, tents, shoes, muskets, etc.,
      >
      > Why not cost?!
      >

      > Another great 1812 re-enactor said, "If the recruit candidate has
      > car, a job, and hands over $2000 he can be a recruit candidate in
      our
      > unit" He then quickly added, "If he is married I want to talk to
      his
      > wife, I want first hand permission that he has his wife's
      permission
      > to join our unit!"
      >

      > Peter, you got the (really cheap cotton) T-shirt
      > – I got a good T-shirt, bumper sticker and was in the movie !!
      >

      > Yrs.,
      > L2
      > PS: Check out the cost of model boats, planes and cars if one is
      > looking for a hobby . . . that don't cost $$$$

    • Dale Kidd
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "philgarringer" <philgarringer@...>
        wrote:
        > It sure as hell beats golfing, though, n'cest pas?

        Most certainly! However, I have noted that the players on the other
        side of the field tend to get a mite ornery every time you want to
        play through...

        Also, finding your ball in the rough after a shot can be a bit tricky.

        ~Dale