School of the Sailor

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
      List:
      More than one event on the same week-end is always a problem, but I
      suspect that with the approach of the bicentennial this will become
      more and more common.

      On this past week-end, the 41st were absent from Stoney Creek, but
      present at the School of the Sailor at Amherstburg. What a different,
      but wonderful experience for us. Several members of the unit served as
      crew and marines on the boats which raced from Windsor to Amherstburg
      on the Saturday - over four hours - and had opportunity to learn
      sailing skills on the run. Something similar to what happened in
      September 1813.

      The hospitality of the site, the organising committee, and the local
      institutions was wonderful, and much appreciated. The Canadian Navy fed
      us for the week-end, and the Legion put on one of the best roast beef
      dinners I have ever had on Saturday evening.

      On Sunday morning the Lieutenancy Board was held to examine two Acting
      Lieutenants for promotion. It was a formal, solemn, and rather
      nerve-wracking occasion for the candidates. It was a great piece of
      reenacting theatre - with meaning and significance.

      Unfortunately an Ohio storm slipped over the border and dampened our
      activities for Sunday afternoon, and most of us have wet canvas hanging
      in basements drying.

      However, all of us look back on the week-end with great memories.
      Thanks to Vic Suthren, Peter Rindlisbacher, Patrick Schifferdecker,
      John Mcleod, and the various boat crews for their welcome and care of
      us for the week-end. Huzzah!

      We hope to have pictures up on our website soon.

      Yr Svt
      Ray Hobbs
      Captain 41st Regt
      Head of the Lake.
    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
        Good Morning List!

        Please note, School of the Sailor photos from the 41st cams can be
        found on our website at:

        www.fortyfirst.org

        Thanks!

        Tom
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
          Great pics! From one who missed the fun, thanks for posting a way
          for me to catch the action.

          ~Dale

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
          <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning List!
          >
          > Please note, School of the Sailor photos from the 41st cams can be
          > found on our website at:
          >
          > www.fortyfirst.org
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Tom

        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
            Hey there!

            Just a note to remind/inform y'all about the School of the Sailor 2008, "The Henry Bayfield Mission" (in honour of Lt. Bayfield, RN who charted Lake Huron in 1817) to be held at Penetanguishene, Ontario's Discovery Harbour, the reconstructed 1815 Royal Navy base and dockyard. Event dates are July 19-20, 2008.

            I have the pleasure (and pain, I assure you!!) to be the event co-ordinator.

            There will be a mix of "classroom" and on-the-water training in the sailor's arts as well as some appropriate presentations by interested and informed persons.

            Discovery Harbour is home to the replica 1817 RN schooners HMS Bee and HMS Tecumseth (sic) both of whom hold Royal Navy warrants allowing them to legally use "HMS" in their names.

            Other notable attendees include the Crown Forces Naval Establishments (1812) flagship brigantine St. Lawrence II as well as ketch Royaliste and "pinky" schooner La Revenante.

            Potential boats include Witch of Amherstburg, Badger, Auld Alliance, Dawn Star, Surveyor, Hamilton ship's boat, Royal George, Rolette, Vitalité, Ferret and Lester.

            For a small fee (approx $20/person) all meals (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and a roast beef dinner) will be provided.

            The Saturday evening will see the post banquet activities of an historic tavern including (this is the fun part!) "entertainments" provided by the participants in the spirit of ship's companies of the period. This means's each boat's crew should be prepared to sing a song, recite a poem or perform a skit of appropriate nature for the enjoyment of the others.

            Discovery Harbour is approximately 1:30 hours north of Toronto on Georgian Bay.

            Send your emails stating your intention to attend to:

            lakesimcoesquadron (at) yahoo.com (substitute "@" for "at")

            Yours, Aye!

            Thomas Hurlbut, Lieutenant (N)
            CFNA Naval Establishments (1812)