Stoney Creek Thanks! (long . . . not a bit sorry . . .)

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
      Well, THAT was FUN! :-)

      Big, big thanks to everyone who came out and helped make this past
      weekend one of the most enjoyable Stoney Creeks that I can ever
      remember! Despite the high heat and humidity on Saturday, and today's
      slightly damp finish to the activities, it was a fabulous weekend. Let
      me congratulate all of you who have taken the time and made the effort
      over the winter to upgrade your impressions. There was a very
      noticeable difference throughout the camp. Kudos to you all -- what a
      great thing to see!!

      Thank you to all of the participants, volunteers, staff, demonstrators,
      and organizers -- and public -- for turning out in droves and helping to
      make this an exciting and delightful weekend. You ongoing and faithful
      yearly support of our event is appreciated far more than you can
      possibly imagine!

      As always, we are eager for feedback on this year's event, as well as
      for your suggestions on how we might make the event better in the years
      to come. Please feel free to forward your comments and suggestions to
      Battlefield House Curator Susan Ramsay at battlefield@..., or,
      if you prefer, to me (off-list) at info@.... We will
      be having a wrap-up meeting very shortly, and it's very important to us
      that we're able to include your thoughts, as now is when we begin laying
      the groundwork for next year.

      Extra special thanks are due to a few extra special people. First, my
      personal and heartfelt thanks to Larry Hanna, who stepped in and helped
      me an unbelievable amount by directing traffic in the militia camp
      during arrival and setup. Having your experienced hand at the tiller
      made all of the difference! Thanks also to Calvin Arnt, Paul Kelly,
      Rick Peterson, Lawrence Michor, Mark Dickerson, and Doug Decroix for
      your input, feedback, and help with my first attempt at laying out a
      militia camp. And thanks to every single person in that militia camp
      for your patience and understanding, and for the many, many kind words
      over the weekend! I am deeply touched.

      Also stepping up to the plate this weekend were SM Pete Monahan and
      everyone else who helped pull together the pay parade. I understand
      that it was one of the top entertainments of the weekend -- wish I'd
      been there to see it! Thanks for doing such a great job. Pete is also
      to be thanked for the lovely Sunday Service which he so graciously provided.

      Mrs. Monahan, who in fact did NOT sell the SM (although she wouldn't
      tell me how much she'd been offered for him), is also to the thanked for
      her persistence and her initiative in seeing the Good as New Sale come
      to fruition. Jan -- without you, it just wouldn't have happened.
      Thanks so much.

      To all of those who helped with the opening ceremonies, the parade, the
      battles, the camp life demonstrations, and all of the other living
      history moments that happened throughout the site during the course of
      the event, a huge thank you. You gave of yourselves to create the very
      things that the public came to see . . . and let me tell you, the public
      was dazzled! Well done, all.

      Our thanks go also to all of the travellers, many of whom drove for
      hours to be there. With the price of gas soaring as it is, this is an
      effort that is appreciated more than ever.

      To the merchants -- your help and support is appreciated so very much.
      You make my job so much easier! Once again, my heartfelt thanks for that.

      In the category of Longest-Suffering and Most Dedicated Husband, Wes
      Ramsay takes the cake! He, along with Rex and Jean Toews, Craig Maslin,
      and their team of volunteers --which included all of the Battlefield
      House Volunteers, the Junior Volunteers, and the House Guard -- did all
      of the jobs that no one really wants to take on, but without which the
      event simply could not run. These folks worked for weeks doing anything
      and everything to set up the site, and they spent their weekend hiding
      in the background and quickly, unobtrusively putting everything in order
      and fixing all manner of little problems. They are the grease on the
      wheels, and we all owe them a huge debt of thanks.

      While those of you who partied through the night on Saturday may think
      that you are up for the prize of Most Sleep Deprived Person, I'm afraid
      that you're not even close! That honour goes to Christine Bingham, who
      took on the event's Most Dangerous Job of manning the registration table
      from Friday afternoon through Sunday noon. Thank you, Chris, for your
      dedication and for working so hard to sort out all of the problems --
      next year we'll arrange an intravenous line to be run from the nearest
      Tim Horton's for you.

      And finally, let me thank the other members of the steering committee:
      Sue Ramsay, Marnie Maslin, Lisa Barty, Lawrence Michor, Craig Williams,
      Christine Bingham, Rick Peterson, Alex Cuberovic, Stephen Fuller, and
      Rebecca Oliphant. It has been a wonderful experience working with you.
      Thank you to each one of you for your help and support -- and of course
      for your dedication!

      It was a great weekend.

      Now crawling into a loooong, hot bath . . . then on to Niagara!
      -- Sioux
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
        I'd like to echo Ms. Spencers comments and add a couple of footnotes.
        I'd like to send thanks to Mr. Windsor for stepping in to be
        Adjudant for the weekend, to Lawrence for helping me layout the
        camp, the plucky smattering of fifes and drums for providing the
        music and cadence, (much appreciated!).
        And of course to the soldiers of the Crown Forces for providing their
        commander, whoever he be, with the finest instrument available anywhere.

        Craig Williams,

        Oh, and thanks to the Drums of the 41st out of Fort George. It was a
        pleasant surprise to see you there.