(off topic) belated happy Empire Day

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      This is another almost forgotten celebration which has slipped by us.
      So be upstanding and charge your glasses...
      Hail Britannia!

      * Empire Day
      * Originally Queen Victoria's birthday, the 24th of May
      is Empire Day.
      *
      * The earth is a place on which England is found,
      * And you find it however you twirl the globe round;
      * For the spots are all red and the rest is all grey,
      * And that is the meaning of Empire Day.
      *
      * Gibraltar's a rock that you see very plain,
      * And attached to its base is the district of Spain.
      * And the island of Malta is marked further on,
      * Where some natives were known as the Knights of St. John.
      *
      * Then Cyprus, and east to the Suez Canal,
      * That was conquered by Dizzy and Rothschild his pal
      * With the Sword of the Lord in the old English way:
      * And that is the meaning of Empire Day.
      *
      * Our principal imports come far as Cape Horn;
      * For necessities, cocoa; for luxuries, corn;
      * Thus Brahmins are born for the rice-field, and thus,
      * The Gods made the Greeks to grow currants for us;
      * Of earth's other tributes are plenty to choose,
      * Tobacco and petrol and Jazzing and Jews:
      * The Jazzing will pass but the Jews they will stay;
      * And that is the meaning of Empire Day.
      *
      * Our principle exports, all labelled and packed,
      * At the ends of the earth are delivered intact:
      * Our soap or our salmon can travel in tins
      * Between the two poles and as like as two pins;
      * So that Lancashire merchants whenever they like
      * Can water the beer of a man in Klondike
      * Or poison the meat of a man in Bombay;
      * And that is the meaning of Empire Day.
      *
      * The day of St. George is a musty affair
      * Which Russians and Greeks are permitted to share;
      * The day of Trafalgar is Spanish in name
      * And the Spaniards refuse to pronounce it the same;
      * But the day of the Empire from Canada came
      * With Morden and Borden and Beaverbrook's fame
      * And saintly seraphical souls such as they:
      * And that is the meaning of Empire Day.
      *
      * - G. K. Chesterton

      Cheers
      Scott McDonald