Re: [War Of 1812] web site photo: Fitzgibbon's medal

  • kevin.windsor@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      In 2003 the Cdn War Museum rec'd a number of Fitzgibbon artefacts the medal was not one of them.

      Kevin

      > From: "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...>
      >
      > From the British Medals forum site. This is a very interesting
      > one-off "regimental" medal Fitzgibbon was given by his brother
      > officers for the Beaver Dam action. Does anyone know where the
      > original medal now is?
      >
      > Jim Yaworsky
      > Moderator

    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

        > In 2003 the Cdn War Museum rec'd a number of Fitzgibbon artefacts
        the medal was not one of them.

        > Kevin

        The reason I asked was because the first time I came across this medal
        was in a consolidation of the Journal of the RUSI's first year or two
        of publication (my copy is at home, I'm still at my office, my
        computer at home is on the fritz....) I believe it was around 1920 or
        so. There was a section in each issue that allowed for questions that
        would be answered by an expert.

        A gentleman sent in a question, with, I believe, the same illustration
        as I've posted (and which I believe the Medal Forum poster probably
        scanned from the RUSI book), asking if anybody knew anything about the
        medal, which he had picked up for his collection.

        This questioner was probably quite surprised when he cracked open the
        next issue of the journal and saw his question answered at some length
        by none other than Sir Charles Oman, one of the two giants of British
        Army historiography at the time and still regarded as one of the most
        eminent of military historians. Sir Charles made it quite clear that
        the medal was unique, important, and, basically, a priceless artifact...

        Just where the medal went when the questioner eventually "passed on"
        is my question... let's hope his executor didn't think it was some
        worthless trinket and "toss" it...

        Jim Yaworsky
        41st