Re: framed back pack

  • drummerspnwars
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi, yes it normally does have wood down the sides but from what i
      understand and have read it seems the wood was quickly burnt on the
      fire and that having carried this pack myself i find it more
      comfortable without the wood.
      barry
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
      wrote:

      > On your website you have a 'framed' back pack. It looks good.
      Does it have wood down the sides under the canvas?

      > Mark Dickerson

    • drummerspnwars
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi, i have posted a page of images showing three distinctive pack
        types, the envelope, the frame and the box, how these relate in and
        to time and how they overlap i am not sure but there are three types.
        potter actually made two types of pack firstly the frame and then the
        box (the box pack with four boards is often mistaken and miss named
        as the frame pack).
        please visit - http://brtdesignportfolio.com/88th/website/knapsack.htm

        as for my not acknowledging images on my site, it is not intentional,
        i first started collecting images years and years ago as a sort of
        hobby and did not at the time think i would need to know where i got
        them as i was using them for my private viewing and enjoyment.
        since then of course i have become a re-enactor and use them to help
        inform, educate and please the reader/viewer.
        it was not intended that i be disrespectfull or take advantage and i
        am more than will to acknowledge the source if i know where it comes
        from, and also remove it if nessisary.
        cheers barry

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
        wrote:

        > Oh....send the link please....If your not up to your elbow in
        > someones mouth right this second!
        >
        > CW
        > On 31-May-07, at 1:36 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:
        >
        > > The backpack I am looking at does not have 4 boards in it and it
        is
        > > not square. It looks like an envelope pack with a button on the
        > > side. I was wondering if he put 2 boards in on the side where
        that
        > > button is.
        > >
        > > Mark

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Thanks Barry,

          I was more interested in the sources of some of the material for the
          purposes of research.
          I have a collection of images much the same as yours and I am still
          trying to identify their sources in some cases.

          Incidentally Trotter (I'm thinking "potter" was a typo?), made the
          "envelope" style of pack as well. There is at least one original
          envelope pack about with the "Trotter of London" stamp prominently
          inked on the inside.

          Craig W

          > potter actually made two types of pack firstly the frame and then the
          > box (the box pack with four boards is often mistaken and miss named
          > as the frame pack).

        • drummerspnwars
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            yeh sorry, i 'm a drummer so easy to miss spell
            cheers