framed back pack

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2007
      On your website you have a 'framed' back pack. It looks good. Does it have wood down the sides under the canvas?

      Mark Dickerson

      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2007
        Hey Mark,
        If it's the one I think you mean, (the 49th pack), I think you be
        better served asking Rob Rittner as the image came off the 49th website.

        http://www.49thfoot.canadianwebs.com/photo4.html

        I am of the opinion that it is incorrect for the 1812 war and is
        likely the wrong dimensions for the framed pack anyway.

        And Barry, I'm not grousin' here but, why don't you list image and
        photo credits on your site, and include a description that would help
        the casual visitor understand what they're looking at?

        Craig Williams

        On 31-May-07, at 12:14 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

        > On your website you have a 'framed' back pack. It looks good. Does
        > it have wood down the sides under the canvas?
        >
        > Mark Dickerson

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2007
          The backpack I am looking at does not have 4 boards in it and it is not square. It looks like an envelope pack with a button on the side. I was wondering if he put 2 boards in on the side where that button is.

          Mark

          If it's the one I think you mean, (the 49th pack), I think you be
          better served asking Rob Rittner as the image came off the 49th website.

          http://www.49thfoot.canadianwebs.com/photo4.html

          I am of the opinion that it is incorrect for the 1812 war and is
          likely the wrong dimensions for the framed pack anyway.

          And Barry, I'm not grousin' here but, why don't you list image and
          photo credits on your site, and include a description that would help
          the casual visitor understand what they're looking at?

          Craig Williams

          On 31-May-07, at 12:14 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

          > On your website you have a 'framed' back pack. It looks good. Does
          > it have wood down the sides under the canvas?
          >
          > Mark Dickerson

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2007
            Oh....send the link please....If your not up to your elbow in
            someones mouth right this second!

            CW
            On 31-May-07, at 1:36 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

            > The backpack I am looking at does not have 4 boards in it and it is
            > not square. It looks like an envelope pack with a button on the
            > side. I was wondering if he put 2 boards in on the side where that
            > button is.
            >
            > Mark

          • drummerspnwars
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1 3:59 AM
              Hi, yes it normally does have wood down the sides but from what i
              understand and have read it seems the wood was quickly burnt on the
              fire and that having carried this pack myself i find it more
              comfortable without the wood.
              barry
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
              wrote:

              > On your website you have a 'framed' back pack. It looks good.
              Does it have wood down the sides under the canvas?

              > Mark Dickerson

            • drummerspnwars
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1 5:40 AM
                Hi, i have posted a page of images showing three distinctive pack
                types, the envelope, the frame and the box, how these relate in and
                to time and how they overlap i am not sure but there are three types.
                potter actually made two types of pack firstly the frame and then the
                box (the box pack with four boards is often mistaken and miss named
                as the frame pack).
                please visit - http://brtdesignportfolio.com/88th/website/knapsack.htm

                as for my not acknowledging images on my site, it is not intentional,
                i first started collecting images years and years ago as a sort of
                hobby and did not at the time think i would need to know where i got
                them as i was using them for my private viewing and enjoyment.
                since then of course i have become a re-enactor and use them to help
                inform, educate and please the reader/viewer.
                it was not intended that i be disrespectfull or take advantage and i
                am more than will to acknowledge the source if i know where it comes
                from, and also remove it if nessisary.
                cheers barry

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...>
                wrote:

                > Oh....send the link please....If your not up to your elbow in
                > someones mouth right this second!
                >
                > CW
                > On 31-May-07, at 1:36 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:
                >
                > > The backpack I am looking at does not have 4 boards in it and it
                is
                > > not square. It looks like an envelope pack with a button on the
                > > side. I was wondering if he put 2 boards in on the side where
                that
                > > button is.
                > >
                > > Mark

              • Craig Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1 6:18 AM
                  Thanks Barry,

                  I was more interested in the sources of some of the material for the
                  purposes of research.
                  I have a collection of images much the same as yours and I am still
                  trying to identify their sources in some cases.

                  Incidentally Trotter (I'm thinking "potter" was a typo?), made the
                  "envelope" style of pack as well. There is at least one original
                  envelope pack about with the "Trotter of London" stamp prominently
                  inked on the inside.

                  Craig W

                  > potter actually made two types of pack firstly the frame and then the
                  > box (the box pack with four boards is often mistaken and miss named
                  > as the frame pack).

                • drummerspnwars
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1 6:29 AM
                    yeh sorry, i 'm a drummer so easy to miss spell
                    cheers