Dragging skirts

  • Gary Stephens
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23 7:17 PM
      Dear Nona, et al,

      Firstly, welcome! Glad to read you've plucked up courage to post. :-)

      To your question:

      >SO some one please tell me, how in the world did woman of the 1812 era
      >cope with the >weather conditions such as I hear were at Mississinewa? I
      >just can't see then traipsing >about,trying to do chores for their family
      >while dragging 10 yards of mud soaked >fabric behind them with shoe that
      >did not reach the same height of the mud.

      Well, in fact we women did do just that - traipsed about in the mud
      with our skirts dragging along, in shoes usually ill-equipped to handle the
      weather. Wooden shoes, clog type thingies, were sometimes worn, to my
      knowledge, and the medieval and rennaisance wooden strap-on soles (the name
      escapes me, apologies!) I believe were still considered acceptable.

      However, if one reads Laura Secord's account of her trek, one will
      find she was wearing the dainty wee slippers most women wore. And later on,
      in the early 1830s, one can find similar accounts from Anna Brownell
      Jameson, and also from Katherine (or is that we a C?) Par Trail (and I
      think I spelled that wrong also.)

      Cope? I think they were studier types, myself. They had to be to
      survive. Unless, of course, one were Susannah Moodie. Now there was a lady
      totally ill-equipped mentally to cope with the backwoods and the rigours of
      homesteading. What a hoot her diaries are!

      Lorina

      Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage & fine
      hand-sewn, embroidered garments http://www.5rivers.org e-mail:
      info@...
    • Nona
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23 8:20 PM
        Thanks to all who have responded to my question. I am making a list of all books and such which were mentioned. I am sure it will make for some interesting reading.
        humble camp follower
        Nona