Re: Digest Number 375

  • Nona
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hello.
      I have been lurking about for some time now. Totally intimidated, you might say. Not really wanting to show how little I know. But if I don't jump in and start picking some brains here, I guess I'm wasting my time. SO some one please tell me, how in the world did woman of the 1812 era cope with the weather conditions such as I hear were at Mississinewa? I just can't see then traipsing about,trying to do chores for their family while dragging 10 yards of mud soaked fabric behind them with shoe that did not reach the same height of the mud. Although this may seem a pitifully simple question to all of you, I am just starting and am lacking even in knowledge such as this. Forgive my ignorance as I am sincere. Encase someone wishes to enlighten me, but not bore the list to death I am closing with my personal e-mail address. Thank you, Nona
      bnbarnes@...
    • Scott Jeznach
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
        how in the world did woman of the 1812 era cope with the weather conditions such as I hear were at Mississinewa? I just can't see then traipsing about,trying to do chores for their family while dragging 10 yards of mud soaked fabric behind them with shoe that did not reach the same height of the mud.

        When I lived in North Carolina and volunteered at the village of Old Salem, I attended a clothing seminar for the late 18th and early 19th Century.

        The lecturer stated that it wasn't unusual for women on the frontiers to perform chores wearing only their chemises, without petticoats and short gowns, etc. This was due to the oppressive heat, etc. I imagine this could hold true for other parts of North America during the same time period. The chemise would probably be slightly shorter than the petticoats and not drag in the mud. Since no one that could be offended was around the frontier homes, modesty wasn't an issue.

        I also know in the late 18th century, they had an item known as "pattens." These were made of wood, slipped onto the lady's shoes, and effectively kept the feet and shoes above the mud.

        Hope this helps,

        Scott J.
        Royal Marines
      • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
          (snip)
          >in, so, would be even harder to work in. I know in
          >the Canada's and the Michigan area, wooden shoes
          >similar to the Dutch, would have been worn in
          >inclement weather and as for the wet clothes, as
          >my wife says, "she would just have to cope ".

          Yes, my dear wife slipped and slopped about Mississinewa in sabots (wooden
          shoes) all weekend. A loose ball of wool in the toes and a fuzzy bit of
          sheepskin wrapped around the top to protect your feet, and they are almost
          comfortable. Almost. As for the mud, wear it with pride!

          Michael

          Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
          ------------------------------
          "Wit is educated insolence." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
        • mmathews@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
            (snip)
            >Side Note:
            >
            > I know of re-enactors who when they returned
            >home from Waterloo '95, scraped the mud off their
            >clothing and put it in a bottle and labelled it,
            >Waterloo '95.
            >Their memento from the ' Field of Glory'

            Okay, I confess. I took it one step further by mixing said dried mud into
            my base flocking mix for wargame miniatures. Now certain special units
            carry a bit of Waterloo onto the game table.

            I'm not crazy, I just act that way.

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
              From: Scott Jeznach <scottj@...>
              how in the world did woman of the 1812 era cope with the
              weather conditions .....trying to do chores ...dragging 10 yards
              of mud soaked fabric ... "pattens." ... made of wood, slipped
              onto the lady's shoes

              I think the operative word would be "the lady's"
              Ladies were of the upper echelon and would do
              no work, they were the ones who had the "pattens"
              which according to Jane Austen were hard to walk
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999

                From: Brenda Warner ( my wife)

                Most re-enactors wear their petticoats too long.
                They should end at the top of their ankle. Farm
                women wore them even shorter, just below
                their calf, according to the books I have read.
                When I was at Waterloo 95, moving through
                muddy fields that were sucking the shoes off
                the men, my socks and petticoat did not get
                muddy. My shoes were a mess though.
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
                  From: Michael Mathews
                  mmathews@...

                  " As for mud, wear it with pride!"

                • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 23, 1999
                    In a message dated 23/11/1999 1:11:02 PM, mmathews@...
                    writes:

                    >I know of re-enactors who when they returned
                    >>home from Waterloo '95, scraped the mud off their
                    >>clothing

                    Scraped off????

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                  • Len Heidebrecht
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 24, 1999
                      Damme Sir, some of us still have on remnants of that conflict in 1990!
                      --

                      On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:56:14 NINETY3RD wrote:
                      >From: NINETY3RD@...
                      >

                      >In a message dated 23/11/1999 1:11:02 PM, mmathews@...
                      >writes:
                      >
                      >>I know of re-enactors who when they returned
                      >>>home from Waterloo '95, scraped the mud off their
                      >>>clothing
                      >

                      >Scraped off????

                      >93rd SHRoFLHU
                      >
                      >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor -

                      HotBot - Search smarter.
                      http://www.hotbot.com
                    • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 1999
                        From: Michael Mathews

                        " As for mud, wear it with pride!"

                        when they returned
                        home from Waterloo '95, scraped the mud off their
                        clothing and put it in a bottle and labelled it,
                        Waterloo '95.
                        Their memento from the ' Field of Glory'

                        My trousers,even after washing, still have a little bit o' Belgium in them! I do wear them with pride.

                        Craig
                      • JGIL1812@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 1999
                          In a message dated 12/2/99 1:05:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          sgtwarnr@... writes:

                          << My trousers,even after washing, still have a little bit o' Belgium in
                          them! I do wear them with pride.

                          Craig >>

                          Huzzah!... This is exactly why I am planning to return to Waterloo next year.
                          '95 was an unbelievable experience that is etched in my mind. Every time I
                          read a book on the subject, watch the film or view a TV documentary the
                          feelings come back.

                          JG/RE
                        • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 1999
                            In a message dated 02/12/1999 3:26:29 PM, JGIL1812@... writes:

                            >n a message dated 12/2/99 1:05:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                            >sgtwarnr@... writes:
                            ><< My trousers,even after washing, still have a little bit o' Belgium
                            >in them! I do wear them with pride.
                            > Craig >>
                            >
                            >Huzzah!... This is exactly why I am planning to return to Waterloo next
                            >year.
                            >'95 was an unbelievable experience that is etched in my mind. Every time
                            >I read a book on the subject, watch the film or view a TV documentary the
                            >feelings come back.

                            Oh go on John.....tell them.....tell them what brigade you were with in '95
                            at Waterloo.....oh, go on...

                            ;-)

                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
                          • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 1999
                              In a message dated 03/12/1999 8:50:55 AM, sgtwarnr@... writes:

                              >Yes Benton, everyone likes you best, but thats only because we all know
                              >what's under that skirt of yours!
                              >Kisskiss , Craig

                              You always kiss and tell!!
                            • Craig Williams
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 3, 1999
                                ->Oh go on John.....tell them.....tell them what brigade you were with in
                                '95
                                >at Waterloo.....oh, go on...

                                Yes Benton, everyone likes you best, but thats only because we all know
                                what's under that skirt of yours!

                                Kisskiss , Craig
                                >http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
                                >
                                >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                                square miles...
                              • Craig Williams
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 3, 1999
                                  Benton