Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Nappy & Welly

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Nappy: A baby's diaper.
      Welly: A waterproof boot.

      Hmmm.....
      ;-)
      93rd SHRoFLHU
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
      THE Thin Red Line

    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2007
        HQ93rd wrote:

        "... Welly: A waterproof boot..."

        Also

        Welly: Beer brewed by Wellington Brewery

        Visit: http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/enews.php

        B-HQ93rd is in California
        and we shall be at Longwoods

        and the weather at Longwoods will be peachy for wearing woolen
        uniforms

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2007
          I believe the vulcanised rubber boot (the modern "Wellie", not Welly) -
          based probably on the style Wellington made famous - was actually
          originally manufactured in France!
          And I also believe it was put into commercial circulation after the
          Duke had died.
          Mythology, like history, is fun!
          Ray Hobbs
          41st Regt.

          On 3-May-07, at 11:41 AM, larrylozon wrote:

          > HQ93rd wrote:
          >
          > "... Welly: A waterproof boot..."
          >
          > Also
          >
          > Welly: Beer brewed by Wellington Brewery
          >
          > Visit: http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/enews.php
          >
          > B-HQ93rd is in California
          > and we shall be at Longwoods
          >
          > and the weather at Longwoods will be peachy for wearing woolen
          > uniforms
          >
          > Yrs.,
          > L2

        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007
            Ray Hobbs wrote:

            "... the vulcanised rubber boot ... the style Wellington made famous -
            was actually originally manufactured in France!.."

            Commander:

            ... and now is manufactured in China for Wal Mart!

            Cudnt help it!

            Yhs.,
            L2
            Commander Harris ... will you be serving BBQ kids at Longwoods?
            Yum! yum! served with Single Malt or Burbon!
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007
              Indeed Ray,

              The true Wellington boot was invented when the Dukes' favorite boots
              (Hessians) became uncomfortable for him on account of his varicose veins. He ordered
              his bootmaker (John Lobb, still in business) to make him a boot with the
              same foot as the Hessian but with a short leg in soft (almost glove) leather.
              That was, and still is, the Wellington boot. Why the rubber (or gum) boot got
              this nickname I don't know but I can only think that he was such an influence
              in the country that all sorts of things stuck. For instance my grandmother
              often used the expression "And no mistake" it was years before I realized this
              was a Wellingtonian remark.

            • Chris McKay
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                If anyone has a pair of Wellies, they could bring them to Longwodos
                and we could play a few rounds of tossin' the wellie!

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

                > I believe the vulcanised rubber boot (the modern "Wellie", not
                Welly) -
                > based probably on the style Wellington made famous - was actually
                > originally manufactured in France!
                > And I also believe it was put into commercial circulation after the
                > Duke had died.
                > Mythology, like history, is fun!
                > Ray Hobbs
                > 41st Regt.
                >

                > On 3-May-07, at 11:41 AM, larrylozon wrote:
                >

                > > HQ93rd wrote:
                > >
                > > "... Welly: A waterproof boot..."
                > >
                > > Also
                > >
                > > Welly: Beer brewed by Wellington Brewery
                > >
                > > Visit: http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/enews.php
                > >
                > > B-HQ93rd is in California
                > > and we shall be at Longwoods
                > >
                > > and the weather at Longwoods will be peachy for wearing woolen
                > > uniforms
                > >
                > > Yrs.,
                > > L2

              • larrylozon
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                  "Chris McKay" wrote:

                  "... we could play a few rounds of tossin' the wellie!..."

                  We did that the other nite ...

                  it was called "toss the Welly DOWN" (Wellington County Ale (5%))

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                  http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/our_beers.php
                • Len Heidebrecht
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                    Hello all,
                    I just had a look at the Lobb website. Wow, what incredable footwear.

                    http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalogue/fullsize_images/Websitetreessli
                    ppers/Slippersweb/thumb.htm

                    The slippers are perfect! Now all I need is to win the lottery.

                    Cheers,

                    Len

                    -- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                    > Indeed Ray,
                    >
                    > The true Wellington boot was invented when the Dukes' favorite
                    boots
                    > (Hessians) became uncomfortable for him on account of his varicose
                    veins. He ordered
                    > his bootmaker (John Lobb, still in business) to make him a boot
                    with the
                    > same foot as the Hessian but with a short leg in soft (almost
                    glove) leather.
                    > That was, and still is, the Wellington boot. Why the rubber (or
                    gum) boot got
                    > this nickname I don't know but I can only think that he was such
                    an influence
                    > in the country that all sorts of things stuck. For instance my
                    grandmother
                    > often used the expression "And no mistake" it was years before I
                    realized this
                    > was a Wellingtonian remark.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Tim

                  • Thomas Hurlbut
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                      Very good beer, I might add.

                      "Major" Tom

                      Welly: Beer brewed by Wellington Brewery

                      Visit: http://www.wellingtonbrewery.ca/enews.php

                      Recent Activity
                      a.. 5New Members
                      b.. 2New Photos
                      Visit Your Group
                      a.. Civil war history
                      b.. Living history
                      c.. United state history
                      d.. War of 1812
                      Sing Country?
                      Win $50,000!

                      Enter the Road to

                      Nashville Contest!

                      Yahoo! News
                      World News

                      Get the latest

                      world news now

                      Yahoo! TV
                      Sign up for alerts

                      Stay tuned in for

                      The Apprentice.
                      .

                    • Michael Mathews
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                          In a message dated 04/05/2007 21:17:24 Central Standard Time,
                          mimathews@... writes:

                          See my other post regarding that point about aggression. One might argue
                          that the values system of the day meant Napoleon "forced" them to declare war in
                          response to real or perceived threats, but I believe the record will show
                          France and Napoleon was not the first shooter most times. The variables for a
                          single shot or incident going differently during the wars are mind-boggling.

                          Hmmmmmmmmmm Michael, dontcha think that's streching the point just a bit? As
                          you say in your other post lots of coalitions were formed against Boney but
                          one has to look at why. He kept INVADING people! Spain, Prussia, Italy,
                          Russia. One would have thought with all those coalitions formed against him he
                          would have got the message tat the majority of Europe wasn't interested in his
                          form of 'liberty' thank you very much. The US got the message loud and clear
                          from Canada and all has been more or less sweetness and light ever since. Boney
                          was just one of those character who couldn't stop trying to force people to
                          accept what he thought was good for them, rather like a modern politician.

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 7, 2007
                            In a message dated 5/3/07 8:44:49 AM, larrylozon@... writes:
                            > B-HQ93rd is in California
                            > and we shall be at Longwoods
                            >
                            > and the weather at Longwoods will be peachy for wearing woolen
                            > uniforms

                            We got sunburns....
                            ;-)

                            93rd SHRoFLHU