Forage (Garrison) Caps

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2007
      "buffssgt" wrote:

      " I agree, the stocking cap and bonet de police are different enough
      to be separate hats.... how does this then differ from troops
      garrisoned in Canada, versus troops garrisoned in other parts of the
      empire? ..."

      I am informed that Fort York (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) received blue
      garrison (Forage) caps [see: photo pillbox2 By: mrkdickerson in the
      Photo section of this Yahoo Group). These were issued to the troops
      garrisoned there.

      This does not coincide with any hat worn in Europe by Wellington's
      Army (as communicated to me)

      We forget The War of 1812 (North America) was not the Penninsula War

      Uniform replacement was not on the priority list for troops in North
      America

      Mr. Twist, Mr.Henderson and others have done research on Forage
      (Garrison) Caps and have come to the conclusion that
      the "elf", "stocking" or " bonnet de police" was the most common hat
      worn by Crown Forces in the Great Lakes area of North America.

      The 7th USI as other USA Forces also wear a similar cap of French
      design

      Yrs.,
      L2
      Upper Canada (Ontario)

      United States Forces 1812
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Crown Forces North America 1812
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      2007 WAR Of 1812 Events

      Sutlers & Merchants
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants
    • Chris McKay
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2007
        Larry,
        The blue pillbox style forage cap worn by the Fort York guard and
        the Royal Scots light company was the universal pattern adopted for
        all infantry regiments in 1812. They were to be issued to all
        infantry regiments, but deliveries to the Peninsula were slow, so
        many did not receive them by the end of the war. In Canada, however,
        10,000 forage caps of this style were recieved in 1813 alone and more
        arrived in 1814. I would argue that by the end of the war, this
        style would dominate in Canada.

        Chris McKay

        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2007
          "Chris McKay" wrote:

          Larry,

          "... The blue pillbox style forage cap ... was the universal
          pattern adopted for all infantry regiments in 1812. ..."

          Chris,

          What is your documentation for this?

          Please share it with all of us

          Thanking you in advance,

          Yrs.,
          L2
          PS: Highland Regiments not effected
        • Chris McKay
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2007
            For the sake of ease, I'll just refer you to the article written by
            Keith Raynor (though I did spend some time looking into this issue
            while I was at the Archives).

            http://www.warof1812.ca/foragecaps.htm

            Chris

            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2007
              "Chris McKay" wrote:

              Larry, "... The blue pillbox style forage cap ... was the universal
              pattern adopted for all infantry regiments in 1812...I'll just refer
              you to the article written by Keith Raynor ...
              http://www.warof1812.ca/foragecaps.htm

              Chris

              I must need new bifocals as I cannot find the statement

              "The blue pillbox style forage cap ... was the universal pattern
              adopted for all infantry regiments in 1812"

              in Keith's article.

              Please advise,

              L2
            • Chris McKay
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2007
                "In fact one watercolour, which is incredibly accurate in all other
                details, shows a yellow faced regiment wearing bluish grey forage
                caps with white head bands. However they do not look as flared as
                the Cavalry pattern and there does not appear to be a torrie. This
                seems to be the pattern adopted for the infantry by 1813."

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

                > "Chris McKay" wrote:
                >
                > Larry, "... The blue pillbox style forage cap ... was the
                universal
                > pattern adopted for all infantry regiments in 1812...I'll just
                refer
                > you to the article written by Keith Raynor ...
                > http://www.warof1812.ca/foragecaps.htm
                >

                > Chris
                >
                > I must need new bifocals as I cannot find the statement
                >
                > "The blue pillbox style forage cap ... was the universal pattern
                > adopted for all infantry regiments in 1812"
                >
                > in Keith's article.
                >
                > Please advise,
                >
                > L2

              • larrylozon
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2007
                  "Chris McKay" wrote:

                  "In fact one watercolour ... shows a yellow faced regiment wearing
                  bluish grey forage caps with white head bands..."

                  Chris

                  Please send this watercolour to

                  lalozon (at) netrover.com

                  ... but only if it shows troops in Canada not Europe or UK

                  Thanking you in advance

                  L2
                • larrylozon
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2007
                    "Chris McKay" wrote:

                    "... one watercolour ... shows a yellow faced regiment wearing bluish
                    grey forage caps with white head bands. .."

                    Chris

                    Perhaps we should take this conversation (thread) off this Yahoo Group
                    as there are some (I have received emails to the fact) who will not
                    change their kit even if it is historically incorrect

                    Yrs.,
                    L2