Re: British Indian Department

  • Chris Kimball
    Message 1 of 21 , May 2, 2007
      Turbans, I think.
      Oh, gad, you mean THOSE Indians...
      ;-)
      93rd SHRoFLHU
      www.93rdhighlanders .com
      THE Thin Red Line

      Actually, true in both cases, at least for here in the south. Creeks, Choctaws, or folks from Bombay.
      Regards,
      Chris Kimball
      Okahumpkee, Native Warrior on the southern theater of operations

    • wolf_bna
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 10 12:02 PM
        I was offered a Captain's commission on November, 26, 2004 to which I
        accepted. I have been unable to attend several events due to
        obligations to my Nation. As many of you know Six Nations is locked
        in a land dispute regarding the Haldimand Tract with the Federal and
        Provincial governments. Having the responsibility of sitting on one
        of the negotiating teams has demanded much of my time. Other members
        of the British Native Allies have attended many events although I
        have been absent. Nevertheless my lack of presence as a British
        Indian Department Captain is really of no consequence.

        That being said the following is a contracted description of the
        British Indian Department.

        In 1790 the British implemented the Constitutional Act which divided
        Canada into the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada. Each became
        separate political entities under the auspices of the Governor
        General. In Upper Canada the Lieutenant Governor and in Lower Canada
        the Representative of the Governor General would report directly to
        the Governor General. Below them were the Executive and Legislative
        bodies of both provinces.

        Prior to 1796 the responsibility for Indian Affairs belonged to the
        office of the Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent of Indian
        Affairs. The resident Indian Agents served under the Deputy
        Superintendent. This structure was employed in Lower Canada until
        1800 when responsibility was transferred to the Governor General. In
        Upper Canada in 1796 responsibility was transferred to the Lieutenant-
        Governor.

        During the War of 1812 Sir George Prevost was the Governor General
        (1812–1815).

        The Lieutenant-Governors were Sir Isaac Brock (1811-1812), Sir Roger
        Hale Sheaffe (1812-1813), Francis de Rottenburg (1813) and Sir Gordon
        Drummond (1813-1814). It should be noted that all of the Lieutenant-
        Governors were administrators and commanders of the forces in Upper
        Canada during the war.

        The responsibilities of the Indian Department during the war were
        administration, recruitment, providing of interpreters and the
        supplying of provisions. Authoritative and administrative duties
        belonged to the Governor General and the Lieutenant-Governor.
        Recruitment, interpretive and supply duties belonged to men employed
        in the Indian Department having intimate knowledge of the various
        Indigenous peoples.

        Each responsibility maintained its own ordinances. Administrative
        duties dealt with Treaties and other issues occasionally arising
        between British Subjects or the military and Native Allies.
        Recruiters recruited the alliance of Indigenous Nations to provide
        warriors for the Kings cause. Interpreters were required to
        communicate between the British and their various Native allies. The
        supplying of provisions to Native allies was an integral part of
        keeping them on the battlefield. Warriors were provided with the
        necessary accouterments for battle while their villages received the
        sustenance required while the men were on the field instead of
        hunting.

        War Chiefs were customarily employed by the Indian Department and
        given the rank of a Lieutenant or Captain. This logic was employed to
        assure Native allies of segregation from the structured British
        military regime. British military commanders could merely suggest but
        never execute orders to their Native allies and vice versa. The fact
        is that Native allies fought unfettered as an independent entity
        under the leadership of their own War Chiefs. A case in point is the
        Military's resolve of the rivalry between William Claus and John
        Teyoninhokarawen Norton.

        The British Indian Department in reality was an institution
        established to manage issues regarding the relationship between
        European and Indigenous peoples. While some B.I.D. officers and
        interpreters fought along side Native allies the Department never
        fought as a "cohesive military fighting unit" or commanded their
        allies. In fact, they were obligated to obey the commands of the War
        Chiefs if they chose to fight along side them. They were first and
        foremost administrators which developed into the modern Department of
        Indian Affairs that exists today.